Dead Fry, anyone able to help?

Vervo

Hello i need someone to help me figure out why this Discus fry died.

We have been getting one every day or two die like this. They all seem real healthy. Could it be overeating?

(We feed live brine 6 times a day, and put tablets for them to nibble on overnight)

Here is a photo.

deadfry.jpg

Thanks

Hello 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, unsure the nitrate, but it wont be high,

i do 2x 30% water change every day. One in the morning one at night for total of 60% change per day

Water temp is 28.5 degrees.

Tank is 110L. There are about 40 thumbnail size baby discus in the tank.

We keep light on all day, and a dim night light at night. (should i be still leaving this on?)

Hi Vervo,

how old are they?

If you are feeding only brine shrimp, they won't be overfed. Just check there is not too much uneaten food after each feeding.

Do any of the fry appear bloated? I generally get 2-3 fry with stomach/intestinal issues that I cull before they die.

Are you putting water into your fry tank, that came from your BBS hatching setup?

Your water changes are sufficient, although if they are 6 weeks or older you can go to 90% daily (one change per day).

You don't need a night light on.

Do not put food in the tank at lights out. Even though you have a night light on the fry will sleep, and if they are sleeping they won't be eating.

I believe that long term use of a night light is damaging to fish (that are not nocturnal). After all, they need to sleep. And discus fry are very, very active during the day.

HTH

Hi Vervo,

how old are they?

If you are feeding only brine shrimp, they won't be overfed. Just check there is not too much uneaten food after each feeding.

Do any of the fry appear bloated? I generally get 2-3 fry with stomach/intestinal issues that I cull before they die.

Are you putting water into your fry tank, that came from your BBS hatching setup?

Your water changes are sufficient, although if they are 6 weeks or older you can go to 90% daily (one change per day).

You don't need a night light on.

Do not put food in the tank at lights out. Even though you have a night light on the fry will sleep, and if they are sleeping they won't be eating.

I believe that long term use of a night light is damaging to fish (that are not nocturnal). After all, they need to sleep. And discus fry are very, very active during the day.

HTH

Thanks for all the info!!

The fry are around 4 weeks 2 days old.

When we feed them the brine shrimp, we use a large turkey baster to suck the brine out,

and then squirt it straight into the tank water included. However, i doubt the salt in the water

would be enough to hurt the fish, since we use about half a table spoon per 500ml.

Cheers

I think I've had an outbreak of gill flukes :<

Today 4 fry are floating at the top of the water, mouth aimed upwards breathing

rapidly and their gills look like they are sticking out a bit.

Is this gill flukes? How can i treat it? If not what might it be?

Thanks... :(

Prazi stays active in the tank water for up to 7days i think, but you're meant to change the water after 48hours.

When i use it, i change the water before I dose then just do smaller water changes 24hours later rather than my daily 50% change. I just do a 5 or 10% to clear the bottom of the tank and dont add alot of clean water so the prazi stays full strength then just resume my normal 50% daily after i know they have had a good dose and are healthy after the 48hours.

Ok, still getting more dying :(

They look fat, it doesn't look like flukes!

Ive looked everywhere! I cant seem to figure out what this is, or any similar symptoms.

Here is a video of one of the currently sick fish.

Please let me know what you think could be causing this!

Could it be the food tablets i put in the tank once a day? Maybe some fish eat more than others and maybe to much?

Thanks