More fish sick after Furan

Ice222

After I had a fish jump out and I put i back in the tank, it had looked sickly, with white fluffy stuff coming out of it's left side, so I dosed the whole tank with furan. I did the whole does of 4 satchels, and that seemed to do the trick on the white fluffy stuff, and I've done a big W/C and added carbon to remove the furan from the water, but I've noticed some other fish (my otos) are now sometimes rubbing against the plants, I can't really see anything wrong with most of them, but one oto does have a whiteish patch on it's head.

Is there any other medication I could try? Or is it better if I just filter with carbon and give them heaps of WCs since I think the medication may actually have stressed them out.

Found the mega sized CPD died today - it had a very red under-belly and around the anus area - no camera batteries to show you though. Whatever it is I haven't seen a dead fish like that before. Did the others that died look like that too? I've put it in the freezer in case you want to have a look :D

only one other fish in tank tank had died and yea it looked the same :(. Wonder what's wrong, it didn't look red under the belly until I found it dead. No idea what it is. Did full course of Furan too to try stop other fish from getting sick, no one in the upsidedown catfish tank looked sick after the treatment, but hearing that one I gave you died then I'm guessing it didn't exactly work on the catfish tank either :(?

So frustrating not knowing exactly what is wrong. Red belly could be Hemorrhagic septicemia? But my oto in the other tank seems to have velvet. I suppose there's just a variety of diseases going on in those 2 tanks. Suppose I'll give the tanks a day with activated carbon to get rid of the remaining Furan, and redose/retry it again. I've also covered the tanks to keep them in blackout for now. Hope I'm doing the right thing, I really liked my plants and I have a feeling they won't survive this since the 1st treatment ruined most of my twisted val already and my tiger lotuses (including the red one) are starting to melt...

was it a CPD or your fighter girl that died today? the CPDs are all not that far off each other in age and could be dying of natural causes too perhaps?

I've always been told that unless you can spot something definite it's very hard to treat correctly so maybe you could just do some big WC and observe? or move the plants out and then treat again

Jenniferrrr where are you :wave: got any thoughts?

It's true that the 2 big CPDs that died (inc the one you got) were bought from HFF at the same time about a year back so it could be natural causes. Nothing has died since that 1st CPD yet, but several fish in the female fighter tank, particularly the otos are acting sickly. Been googling velvet and most seem to say 'treat promptly since it's usually in the later stages when you notice the symptoms'.

I had one that ask for medication for sick goldfish with odd bruise on side (as describe). Thinking it's only comets and possibly wounds from breeding, I recomend salt with 2/3 of the normal dosage(to be safe, haha) and it's cheap and good, lol. But he came back, telling me they are dying after the salt treatment. ?????, So, I went over and to my horror, white spot on every single one. I hope they are not too weak to recover.

Well I found the oto that looked like it might have velvet dead yesterday. Took the carbon out and dosed tank with furan, and going to repeat it again tonight. Meant to do it for 4 days. I've covered the tanks to black them out too, and turned up the temp 2 degrees hoping that help. Fingers crossed for no more losses

Hmm this seems similar to what I'm experiencing with one of my bettas. I noticed some white fluffy stuff taking advantage of some fin damage, gave it furan for a few days, white stuffs going but now there are large reddish patches on his sides, fins are now clamped and hes lying on the bottom... only his eyes move...Do you thnk furan could be contributing to these bruises? My betta has gotten worse since I've used it.

I'm not sure, just finished the 2nd course of furan with no changes. My betta generally looks fine, but sits at the bottom a lot with clamped fins, but then she's really energetic whenever I approach the tank and her breathing etc. doesn't look labored. I'm thinking it may just be her not liking the furan or just resting since her left side fin was almost completely gone after the ordeal.

Just checked on him, his "bruises" have spread to almost all of his body and he is now swimming on his side when he needs air... so I took him out and put him in some water with tannins and salt :( Im pretty sure its the "bruises" that are killing him but what are they... :nilly: Time for a google search...