Tiger Lotus problem

matildanz

My tiger lotus is growing like a weed, sending up new leaves every few days and reaching the water surface in a week. They open up and sit on the surface for a couple of days (4 at the most) then they sink and die. The original leaves are still alive and apart from the odd hole courtesy of the clowns, they're fine although their stems have stayed relatively short - maybe 15-20cm.

Any ideas? Tank is an Aqua One 150 using Aqua One lighting (nothing special). Water parameters are all normal, fish all happy.

Most people complain when they have persistent leaves growing to the surface. With any of my lotus plants I Trim any leaves before they reach the surface. Once it knows its leaves can reach the surface it only produces these tall surface leaves which restrict the light and make a mess of the tank.

As for a reason they are dieing, sorry I can't help here........

Once it knows its leaves can reach the surface it only produces these tall surface leaves which restrict the light and make a mess of the tank.
That is so true!! They are so smart like that! :facepalm:

I would guess that if the leaves disintegrate, they are nutrient deficient. Leaves that get holes are often a result of deficiency. Lotus are very hungry for micronutrients. If you have a root fertiliser ball, that will help. If you don't have any of those, you can use ordinary Osmocote (slow release fertiliser beads you can get for potted plants), just freeze them in an ice cube and when frozen, plunge it under the lotus' roots. ;)

Edit: typo :oops:

Thanks for that :D I wasn't meaning it to come across as a complaint, it was just out of interest to know if this was normal. I'll try trimming the leaves before they get too tall and see if that helps it 'bush' a bit more. I not sure if I need to fertilize it anymore Jen, the thing is growing like a weed (not that I'm complaining! :wink: )