Cutting Holes in a glass tank

rosco

Trying to find someone with the gear to cut a couple of 48 diameter holes in a juwel 300 tank, professional or DIY'er

with the diamond holesw to do it, or know someone who might be able to. any info much appreciated im situated in chch.

Cheers,

Rosco

• 4 months later...

Rosco how did you get on with this?

I am looking into making a breeding tank with glass dividers fully siliconed in on 3 sides with holes in the middle of the pane for water flow. I want to do it that way rather than leave gaps in the silicone for water flow holes so I can cover them with mesh to block all fish but still have the water flow. My husband has a glass drill bit but he isn't sure how many holes can be drilled or how close together before the pane cracks.

Has anyone else done this?

I think the drill bit we have is about 5mm but might buy another of suitable suggested size as I have a feeling I used that on jade and blunted it.

At present my perspex dividers have about 15-20 holes of about that size spaced over about 20cm area so that's what I was aiming for but it doesn't necessarily have to be done the same. Maybe 3 or 4 bigger holes or such like. What do you think?

I have done a similar thing for reptiles. It is a clear lid with lots of holes to allow fresh air but contain reptiles and bugs. Very easy with plastic and a drill press.Can do many at once.

I have not done the glass drilling but have seen a few done and it would take a while if you want to do many holes.

Perspex is definitely easier to work with but I have to beg and scrape to get cheap/free of that.... I could disassemble my current tanks to make the glass partitions planned so far.

I do have some good plastic mesh - stuff for fine tapestry that I stole from Livingart's haberdashery box - it's currently in use blocking fish with my perspex dividers, only the fry can get around the sides hence why I want to make a permanent block.

anyway you've given me some good ideas to be going on with

:bow:

stupid iphone autocorrect fail

yeah right :nfs:

yes i have drilled many existing tanks

reduce water level to 1/2 way at least

make a template with holesaw from polystyrene or mdf and tape to glass

then hold drill straight and start drilling

use a squirt bottle for water application

if tank is empty easier to do

good to see you are finally going marine