I've got wrigglers!

Nymox

Very surprised they managed to get this far in a community tank with lots of cardinals and sterbai corydora.

Dad

DSCF3647.jpg

Mum

DSCF3627-1.jpg

And the wrigglers, didn't spend long trying to get a good shot as I distracted the parents and the cardinals moved in and snatched a few.

DSCF3710.jpg

I don't think they have much chance, but its pleasing as the fish must be happy enough to want to spawn.

• 4 weeks later...

So 3 batches since this one all didn't make it past the first day of being wrigglers. But he's now managed to get 15 wrigglers to their 3rd day, I am hoping if they make it tonight they will be free swimming tomorrow. If not the sump is running on the tank in preparation for my new 6 foot arriving next week, so the pair will be transferred with the cone to the refugium where they should have much better chances. Still I think 3 days in an over-stocked 4 foot community is pretty good going :)

Possibly something to do with the temperature of the water and maybe the size? of the wrigglers. You will find once they are free swimming that they are a great target for the other fish in the tank as it takes a wee while for them to learn to swim properly.

The reason for different no's of wrigglers may be that the parents are moving them to plants or whatever else in the tank.

thanks Adrienne, temperature is probably right on the money, as they are kept at 26.5 rather then their preferred 28 - 30. I figured out where the other 2 wrigglers came from, they are a. cacatuoides lol. Even the wrigglers look very different and Miss a. cacatuoides is guarding a cave full of wrigglers right underneath the discus. He hasn't moved the fry this time, its part of the reason they are still going last time the trips back and forth we where he lost the most, the Mum isn't very good either, she's more interested in food. I figured once they were free swimming they would be on his flanks feeding and under less threat then when they were wrigglers, I guess like any animals they are curious and stray to far from Dad at times. Not to worry I would rather them fail again tbh, its strengthening their bond and parental skills each time, and the sooner this lot fails the sooner I can get them into the refugium. Although community tank raised discus would be great! Certainly would weed out any weak ones.