Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UV filter

Featured Replies

Hi,

Just wondering for a tank of 375 ltrs, what recommendation would people suggest that would be good enough for it?

Or what i should look for in a UV filter?

Has anyone had any experience with the Blue Planet UV Sterilizer brand?

What do you want it for, reducing green water or killing parasites like whitespot? Flow rate and exposure time is just as important as the size of the UV. I'd suggest doing some googling and reading before parting with any cash, its not just an "XX watts per litre" thing...

Im with David here, I don't think there is any merit in using a UV unless you are using it for a purpose - ie green water or to help try and reduce a parasite infection or something like that. Even then I would suggest that has limited use because the UV wont actually treat all the water as it goes rushing past it, the bulbs wear out etc..

I have used one in the past when my tank water was going green, but found it allot easier to just stop feeding the food that is high in phosphates.

Also bear in mind that a 100% sterile environment (almost impossible to achieve) is quite bad for our fish.

  • Author

Yeah mainly for killing parasites like whitespot, really just trying to cover all areas, as my fish disaster that has just occurred.

I just can't imagine what i have done wrong that would warrant such a large scale massacre of fish to drop suddenly.

I am unsure what killed my fish still, lost 100 neons in matter of 4 days. :dunno:

sigh maybe just end up with a heavily planted tank and have no fish with my luck lol :tears:

Well I think it will reduce the number of free swimming whitespot spores if you had an outbreak but I am not sure if it would wipe it out though? Hard to know.. But salt will though.

I think that you just had bad luck mate, maybe you brought some sick fish and they just wiped the others out, they were weird spots that those fish I saw had on them so I am not sure. Did the tonic do nothing?

Just let it runs its course let the plants grow and then build up again, maybe keep a quarantine tank this time though and quarantine all new fish for a month before introducing..

  • Author
Well I think it will reduce the number of free swimming whitespot spores if you had an outbreak but I am not sure if it would wipe it out though? Hard to know.. But salt will though.

I think that you just had bad luck mate, maybe you brought some sick fish and they just wiped the others out, they were weird spots that those fish I saw had on them so I am not sure. Did the tonic do nothing?

Just let it runs its course let the plants grow and then build up again, maybe keep a quarantine tank this time though and quarantine all new fish for a month before introducing..

Yeah i would say your right dude, lesson we'll learn't - A) listen to ryan and get cardinals , B) listen to Ryan :slfg:

I lost a whole bunch yesterday, maybe 20 when in quarantine tank, but since then nothing has died... i am however reluctant to put the fish back in should they be now more susceptible to what ever it is, or possibly carry the disease onto the new fish once i get around to thinking its safe.

Yeah i set up that 1.2 m tank that was used for gold fish tank as new quarantine tank, pretty much every single fish is going in there from now on. to me it's not the $$, it was the why are they dieing, pitty don't have access yet to microscope.

As to getting a UV filter, still 50/50 on it, where as others i have spoken too say its good to have and have had no problems, but then i see the other POV too... ohhh decisions! :slfg:

Its certainly a good thing to have if you're keeping fish that are prone to things like whitespot. But on the other hand with such fish if you follow a proper quarantine regime and keep the tank clean you shouldn't encounter it without some sort of freak occurrence anyway.

  • Author
Its certainly a good thing to have if you're keeping fish that are prone to things like whitespot. But on the other hand with such fish if you follow a proper quarantine regime and keep the tank clean you shouldn't encounter it without some sort of freak occurrence anyway.

Valid point David, now that quarantine tank is up, will be using it. and look at a getting a UV down the track.

Also with the planted tank, what would be the best approach now to do in terms of making sure the tank is fine, i did 100% water change on thursday. leave the tank fish free for couple of weeks?

  • 1 month later...

Before leaping into UV, you need to identify what caused the fish to die.

Was there any sign of disease or did the fish just die for no apparent reason?

If the tank isn't properly cycled it might not be disease and UV will do nothing to help...

Before leaping into UV, you need to identify what caused the fish to die.

Was there any sign of disease or did the fish just die for no apparent reason?

If the tank isn't properly cycled it might not be disease and UV will do nothing to help...

Zdoda did find the cause of his fish deaths and unfortunately it was all his fault, I will let him full everyone in :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.