Hatching Brineshrimp advice

mcrudd

I would like to put some brineshrimp eggs in my puffertank and let them hatch so they can munch on them as they are free swimming, only problem is I don't know if its possible to do it, because everytime I google it or ask lfs for advice they want me to buy a little shirmp hatchery thingy that you attach a 2litre bottle too. All the google searches said the same as well.

I would like to put some brineshrimp eggs in my puffertank and let them hatch so they can munch on them as they are free swimming, only problem is I don't know if its possible to do it, because everytime I google it or ask lfs for advice they want me to buy a little shirmp hatchery thingy that you attach a 2litre bottle too. All the google searches said the same as well.

Since you're posting this in the Freshwater forum I'll assume your puffers are freshwater. So your choices are put enough salt in the tank to kill your puffers so the brineshrimp can live or not put any salt in so the puffers live and the brineshrimp die.

If they're brackish or marine the puffers may not be killed by the salinity needed to hatch the brineshrimp.

Thanks all, I was not aware of the brackish water thing. My puffers are freshwater so it won't work. Just wanted to treat them a little, guess they must be happy with bloodworms then :wink:

Why don't you just buy frozen brineshrimp? Problem solved lol.

Why don't you just buy frozen brineshrimp? Problem solved lol.

LOL I do buy it and frozen bloodworms, but my puffers only eat the bloodworms, they don't like the frozen brineshrimp, but they absolutely love to hunt, so I thought hunting brineshrimp that are live would be a nice treat instead of so many ramshorn snails :wink:

Hatching brine shrimp is quite easy. I have a couple of 2 litre soft drink bottles . I drilled a hole in the lids , put airline thru and put airstones on the end of the airline.

I find I get a far better hatch rate with sea water - I change the water about every two weeks.

Bought the eggs off TM- much cheaper than LFS.

Every 2nd day I drain one of the bottles.

If you keep them warmer they will hatch faster but at room temp thats how long mine take.

Take the airstone out for a few minutes to let the unhatched eggs settle on the surface then siphon out thru a piece of cloth.

Scrape the shrimp off the cloth and either feed straight out or put into a shot glass of water and feed out with a pipette.

If I'm in a hurry I won't siphon- just pour straight thru the cloth. You get more unhatched eggs this way but if you scrape them off the cloth into the shot glass the unhatched eggs will float to the surface and you can pipette the hatched ones from bottom.

Rinse the bottle ,add back the sea water and more eggs.

You would not get them hatching fast enough to have enough to scoop out every few days, or it would cost a lot. I used to breed them in a 1kg peanut butter container similar to how oneyedfrog explained. I also hatched some in a large plastic container that sat on the floor of the lounge in the sun. The eggs had been gathered from the edges at Lake Grassmere (the salt works). They hatched, lived, reproduced etc but not in great numbers.

Brine shrimp anyone?

saltworkspreharvest.jpg

My little hatchery...

brineshrimphatcher.jpg