Last attempt...

paige.xo

Okay, So I have been attempting to breed betta for the last two months with no real success.

I have two nice pairs; one halfmoon and one crowntail.

Last time, I had an almost perfect spawn; huge bubblenest, super fast and gentle. It seemed to be going good; until I took the female out and the male decided it was a great idea to eat all the eggs. :an!gry

I think I have been doing all the 'right' things; it just isn't working. I've decided to have one last attempt before I take a break from fighters altogether.

Do you guys have any advice or hints as to what I might be doing wrong?

So your problem is male eating the eggs?

If male is eating the eggs they could have been infertile or fungused. Sometimes males may fail to fertilze the eggs properly in their first spawning attempt.

If you really dont want to risk the male eating eggs again you could try the artificial hatching method.

Basically, after the eggs have been put in the nest, get a container and place it under the nest and scoop it up along with the eggs. You will have to take out any fungused eggs, then, when the fry have hatched and are free swimming put them in a larger tank.

A more detailed description can be found here

http://www.freewebs.com/majerah/artificialhatching.htm

Good luck and dont give up :thup:

maybe keep the female in the breeding tank once eggs are fertalised but keep her in a clear cylinder (maybe half a coke bottle with holes in it) so that the male can see her so that he has just enough of a distraction to stop him eating the eggs... it worked for me. My boy had kept eating eggs - possibly got bored and had nothing better to do :roll: No harm in trying