Crypt with Gas

amtiskaw

I've gone high tech with CO2 injection and upped my lights to T5 and LED. I've just about got my ferts sussed out, and now my plants are pearling from about 2 PM till lights out at 8 PM.

I've noticed my crypts don't pearl as such - they just emit a stream of bubbles from one or two points. Is this standard for crypts?

cryptbubbles.jpg

The tricky bit is balancing your ferts, I find. Nitrate seems to be the limiting factor in my tank. I've almost got rid of visible algae, but I'm finding if I let the nitrate level go too low I get more algae - which seems counter-intuitive to me :roll: I had a massive cyano outbreak at one point when I ramped up the ferts too quickly, but a 4 day blackout cured that. Too much phosphate caused it, I think.

I really want to strip my tank and re-scape now I've leaned a bit and seen some of the awesome scapes on the web, but I'm enjoying my tank too much ATM, even if it's a bit amateurish in it's layout. Still hunting for that ultimate bit of driftwood to base the scape around, too. And the right stone. And deciding on substrate. And plant availability... :slfg: