spotty fish - should I be worried?

zeta

Hello... my fish really aren't doing as well as I would like. Mild finrot, rampant fin-nipping.. and my angels seem to get these black spotsspottyangel.jpg

Should I be alarmed? They seem pretty okay otherwise..well, not close to death, which is doing well by my standards.

Zeta said...

> my fish really aren't doing as well as I would like. Mild finrot,

> rampant fin-nipping..

What kinds of fish under what conditions? The above could be

a normal response to envirinmental or behavioural conditions...

> ... my angels seem to get these black spots

Black spots can be part of the natural pigmentation on healthy

'wild type' or 'silver' angels. The spots are masked on darker

varieties and absent from 'albinos' or 'golds'...

> Should I be alarmed?

Judging by the photo, I wouldn't be.

Tell us more about the other fish...

Andrew.

aargh..where to begin.

My bristlenosed plecostomus is missing about half his dorsal fin and a good deal of his tail because my angels keep nipping him! My LFS refuses to believe this is possible, but the angels arent exactly subtle about it.. they just sidle up to him and have a nip, I watch this happen daily.

My hoplo catfish has quite a bit of finrot in his tail after being nipped relentlessly by a pakistani loach (I got rid of the loach the day after I worked this out).. it's taking a while to heal. He also has this odd silver coating on parts of him (at the base of his tail and dorsal fin).. he's had it before and gotten over it. Sorry about the quality of these photos, I still havent worked out how to take fish photos and my last batteries have just run out.

sickhoplo1.jpg

sickhoplo2.jpg

My albino corys have very stumpy barbels. Apparently this would be because the pakistani loach ate them while they were asleep. The loach went about 2 weeks ago, how long would barbels take to grow back? My hoplo's barbels also seem to be shorter than they should be. I do have a couple of rosy barbs but I've never seen them nip anybody.

I really don't blame all my troubles on fish nipping each other, I reckon there has to be something else making life difficult for me. I have killed 7 of the 20 fish I have owned. I'm certain overfeeding isn'y my problem, I fed only every second day for months, and I'm feeding daily these days (sometimes bloodworms, sometimes flake, occasionally zucchini, peas..)

The tank has a few plants, a chunk of driftwood (extracted from a malaysian bog, bought from the LFS), no rocks. The gravel has a small amount of shell. pH is about 7.5 out of the tap and maybe 7.3 in the tank (I have to get them to test it at the LFS, my test kit is hopeless). Water gets changed about 1/3 every week, gravel vacuumed about every fortnight. Water is quite clear, although gets a bit murky when the fish get fed (they go nuts and stir it all up). So all I can think of is maybe there's something in the water. How would I find out for certain?

Thanks for your time

Hello Zeta

I had an angel with the same spots, they look like a pinhead sized spot not unlike a small tick attached to skin, the spots are attached to the fish and donot seem to be a part of the fish's coloring. The spots mine had went away after about 3 months, this fish has died due to a swim bladder problem, couldn't stay upright, i dont know if this has anything to do with the spots though and i havn't been able to find any info on these black spots

Terry

Yes, I am a little worried. They don't seem at all like natural coloration, they change from day to day. But they certainly aren't holes.

Pegasus, my gravel is very smooth, I'd be quite surprised if it was wearing their barbels down. What else can cause eroded barbels?

The hoplo's barbels have been getting shorter too, probably about half as long as they should be.

Hi Zeta,

Was doing a bit of reading somewhere on one of the sites and it mentioned the rough substrate, and it also mentioned the fact that some sorts of bacteria in the gravel can attack the barbles and actually cause them to rot away.

I read that many posts on that many sites that I'm not sure where it was, but I'll try and find it and get back to you.

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Hi Zeta,

I just got lucky and checked my History in my browser and there it was he he.

Here are the links about your Corys :)

http://communitytank.aaquaria.com/board ... hp?TID=234

http://communitytank.aaquaria.com/articles/corys.htm

The second link is an article that I found really interesting.

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Hi Zeta,

Seems from the Corydoras article that the subsrate and bacteria excess are the problem. Placing the corys in another tank with a fine substrate and good food may allow the barbles to grow back, but to be honest I have never had to deal with this problem.

We have one or two Catfish breeders that might know if the barbles will actually grow back or not.

I'll do a bit more digging and see if I can find out anything else.

http://www.planetcatfish.com

http://www.scotcat.com

May have some info if you want to check.

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus.NZ)

I have had problems with disapearing barbels on cory's before. I found that it is possible for them to grow back if you put them back into a favourable environment.

When I had the problems they were with some dwarf cichlids who would out compete them for food. Consequently they never got to eat alot while they were in with them. This I think was the start of the problems. My gravel was always clean but maybe a slightly coarse (pea gravel with a small amount of some porous (almost like pumice) volanic rock mixed in.

I found that putting them in an environment were they could get ample food easily (still using the same substrate) helped the barbels to grow back. Maybe they didn't have to scanvenge around as much and were not constantly running their barbels along the ground? Not sure about that, but feeding them better definitely helped their barbels grow back.