Discus Tank?

critter_crazy

50 litres per discus. The trick with a planted discus tank is to use plants that don't require high light as the discus really don't like a lot of light or do as I do and provide cover at one end of the tank. Regular water changes are a must with discus and if your tank is planted you would be better off starting with good sized fish.

Thanks guys :thup: I'm not too worried about temp as my other tank is running at 30 degrees all the time to keep whitespot at bay - they plants are doing really well even with the light not being too high.

I'll have to check the dimentions and lighting specs when I pick it up tomorrow.

I'd be happy with 3 discus, a few livebarers for live food, some cories and a bunch of penguin tetras.

All up my tanks get about 50% a week for water changes, is that okay?

I'd be buying the fish from work so they'd be almost full grown - I've heard growing them out is quite a mission.

The only thing I would be concerned about having 3 discus is that they are better kept in larger groups to avoid agression. If you get 3 males or 3 females you would be okay but I would be concerned if there was 1 female and 2 males as the males will fight. While I currently only have 3 in my tank they are all males and there is now a lot less fighting than when I had a female in there as well. Mind you different fish have different personalities but those have been my observations. You have to remember that they are cichlids.