new tank with lots of fish please help

liza77

'Hi there

we set up a new tank 280l juwel 6 weeks ago and a now have 40 fish as staff members didn't tell us that we should cycle tank before we added all the fish :evil: ! So now we have very hi nitrite and we had hi nitrate. nitrate was reduced with water changes but nitrite is still high. we bought API nitra to get rid of nitrite and nitrate do you think it will work? where should we put? Plus our PH is very low now so i am not sure what to do? should we change water again?

I would appreciate any help!!!!! :hail:

Thanks

Liza

Get some seachem Prime as it is the best water conditioner IMO and will also detoxify nitrite and nitrate if you use a bigger dose. You will need to be doing partial water changes every day to help the fish to cope until the filter cycles, I personally would do around 20-40% depending on how much nitrite you have got. Once you are testing negative then you can drop the water changes back a bit but still be careful with them for the next few weeks and don't go too long between as your fish will be stressed and weak from the nitrite (and the ammonia that came before the nitrite).

If you can get some filter media from a tank already cycled then it will speed up the process.

Good luck, I did the same thing myself when I started out. Baptism of fire! :oops: :roll: Be prepared tho that you may start to get problems such as ich, etc in the weeks to come as the stress of the cycling tank takes its toll on the fish, and you may lose some of the less robust and more sensitive fish. Hopefully tho with diligent and careful water changes you can save most of them.

Get some seachem Prime as it is the best water conditioner IMO and will also detoxify nitrite and nitrate if you use a bigger dose. You will need to be doing partial water changes every day to help the fish to cope until the filter cycles, I personally would do around 20-40% depending on how much nitrite you have got. Once you are testing negative then you can drop the water changes back a bit but still be careful with them for the next few weeks and don't go too long between as your fish will be stressed and weak from the nitrite (and the ammonia that came before the nitrite).

If you can get some filter media from a tank already cycled then it will speed up the process.

Good luck, I did the same thing myself when I started out. Baptism of fire! :oops: :roll: Be prepared tho that you may start to get problems such as ich, etc in the weeks to come as the stress of the cycling tank takes its toll on the fish, and you may lose some of the less robust and more sensitive fish. Hopefully tho with diligent and careful water changes you can save most of them.

Thank you very much for your advice!!!!! We have prime and add 2 cups after each water change plus i add stress zyme and stress coat. Where can i get "some filter media"?

Yep - Prime is excellent. I hope you meant 2 caps rather than 2 cups!

Water changes are also good to keep up with. "Dilution is the solution to pollution" (a slight exaggeration, but partly true!)

The fact that you have high levels of Nitrate means both types of the bacteria you want is present...just not enough of them yet! You'll get there.

The filter media spoken of will need to come from an already cycled tank - so a mate with an established aquarium? This filter media may also introduce nasties - so make sure you know where it is coming from.

:slfg: of course two caps not two cups (it is so exopensive to add it by cups :slfg: )

Where should i put API nitra zorb? i put in on the top of white wool in the filter. the water became quite murkey.

Unfortunately i dont have anybody with a fish tank :(

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Yep - Prime is excellent. I hope you meant 2 caps rather than 2 cups!

Water changes are also good to keep up with. "Dilution is the solution to pollution" (a slight exaggeration, but partly true!)

The fact that you have high levels of Nitrate means both types of the bacteria you want is present...just not enough of them yet! You'll get there.

The filter media spoken of will need to come from an already cycled tank - so a mate with an established aquarium? This filter media may also introduce nasties - so make sure you know where it is coming from.

ph is 6

we have

10 neons

4 electric blue

5 blue dwarf gourami

5 melons

2 barps

5 Rummynose tetras

5 Red tail tetras (dont remember the name)

5 Algae eaters

1 queen pleco

Quite a big family :-?

How low is low?

What are the fish?

TLC make StartSmart and similar products. They're technically a 'treat once' and go from there solution to help start the tank. Prime and the like are for treating water for water changes primarily but they also can be used in emergencies for managing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

In essence TLC products are a good once off startup treatment for any tank but I haven't seen a TLC water conditioner on the market. I'm happy to be proven wrong though :)

Nitrate is 0 :slfg:

but we still have Nitrite :(

How do you feed plecos if all fish eats his food????

It's the nitrite you want to get to 0 - then you know it's cycled. Nitrate can then be managed with water changes.

If you're feeding the pleco with pleco tabs or wafers you'll probably find he'll get to it in the evening/overnight. He'll also scavenge around for algae and the like if he can't find food. If you're feeding with community food or flake then he'll probably be missing out but I wouldn't worry too much.

Also if your tank still has nitrite you are still in the danger zone, I would drop the feeding back to a light feed once every 3 days until your nitrite level is zero. Feed light for a while to reduce the fish waste being produced until your bacteria can catch up.

Thank you :)

I will keep our fish fit

Also if your tank still has nitrite you are still in the danger zone, I would drop the feeding back to a light feed once every 3 days until your nitrite level is zero. Feed light for a while to reduce the fish waste being produced until your bacteria can catch up.

Thank you for your advice!

Should we continue with water chages and is it worth adding TLC start smart??

I feed pleco with his tabs but it seems all fish like it too :-?

It's the nitrite you want to get to 0 - then you know it's cycled. Nitrate can then be managed with water changes.

If you're feeding the pleco with pleco tabs or wafers you'll probably find he'll get to it in the evening/overnight. He'll also scavenge around for algae and the like if he can't find food. If you're feeding with community food or flake then he'll probably be missing out but I wouldn't worry too much.