First Water Change

Duke

My new 4ft tank has been running for 6weeks now and I added a Stark Damsel last week. When should I do my first water change ?

I am looking at adding some snails soon (Catseyes from CHCH) and a pair of Clown's

Also how do you test Alkalinity ?

Thanks for the answers.....

My water paramiters are as follow:

Temp 25C

PH 0 - 0.25

Salinity 1.024

Ammonia 0.1

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

Phosphate 0

Firstly...what is your PH??

Am I reading something wrong here.

Dont add anything else until the ammonia and nitrite have been gone for at least 3 days in a row.

Ph needs to be around 8.2

Kh between 7 and 12 DKH, (I personally run at 11-12)

Kh is the "Alkalinity" which helps to keep your PH stable. Low KH can cause rapid changes in ph shocking inhabitants.

Do you know how to adjust these?

i was lead to believe kH (Carbonate Hardness) and alkalinity (Acid Binding Capacity) were separate things... KH is that portion of the alkalinity whose charge is balanced by divalent cations such as Ca and Mg ... in other words KH is a measure of hardness and has nothing to do with total alkalinity (since charge can be balanced by any number of cations)

I wasnt going in quite that deep, however you are probably right.

I use baking soda only to raise my KH. One decent teaspoon will raise KH by approx 2KH per 300 litres. This is sodium Bicarbonate, which relates to the Carbonate hardness I would assume.

As far as Ca and Mg, these have to added along side Baking soda of their own accord.

Ph is good if 8.2. You need to get a KH test kit form your LFS.

If low get the KH up with good old baking soda.

But you need to get your magnesium correct first.

The wrong concentration of Magnesium effects correct KH and Cacium concentrations.

So....you need a test for MG

A test for KH

A test for Calcium.

If you dont use these you WILL sruggle to have a decent tank.

IF YOU STILL HAVE AMMONIA, YOU TANK HAS NOT CYCLED.

Good luck!

You can assist with helping the Cycling process by adding "Cycle" a bacteria product from your LFS.

Some people hate it , some like

I have used it and I reckon it helps the system to multiply bacteria fasting than by naturally using it.

Others may warn you off it, but either way it will do NO damage to your system.

You can assist with helping the Cycling process by adding "Cycle" a bacteria product from your LFS.

there has been a lot of doubt cast on the ability of a bacteria to live at shipment and shop conditions and still be alive.... is it keept in a fridge.. if not it does not appear it will contain live anything.

except maybe snake oil.