Juwel heaters and filters

Ismart120

Has anyone had the issue of the juwel heaters not working very well/not heating the tank as soon as the stock filter clogs up and the water circulation reduces? Kinda surprised me that there wasn't something to prevent this, all it seemed to be doing was keep the filter media nice and warm...

Yeah the Juwel filter units can be a pain. I had to do maintenance on mine every 2 weeks or it would slow down too much, also it never really did a good job. My powerhead stopped working 3 times the last time it happened it was out of warranty so I brought and external canister.

IMG_3242480x640.jpg

I just had to cut gap out of the middle shelf to fit in, I made a wee stand to get it a bit higher up so the pump has less head (more flow).

IMG_3247463x640.jpg

Then I heated the lid with a heat gun and it molded amazingly easily around the filters pipework so the lid still sits flush on top.

Tank looks much better without the internal and the new filter unit only needs maintenance every few months. I am still using the Juwel heater, it is a pretty good heater you just need to get some suction cups for it.

Also before sometimes the fish would get stuck in behind the filter and i would have to blow them out with a drinking straw.

Hmmm, ok. Unfortuanaltey I quite like how the internal filter hides everything. Already running an external on mine, I might have to look at some coarse filter sponge so the internal one doesn't clog so much - Just don't want it to be pumping water around for nothing...

Did you just use a razor blade to cut the internal one out?

Did you just use a razor blade to cut the internal one out?

I think i just carefully and slowly but forcefully pushed it back and forth until the unit pulled out. The glue remained in the tank so then I used a glass scraper to get the glue off the glass. Just loading it with coarse sponge or bio noodles would mean it would not slow down.

I have been running several Juwel tanks for up to 5.5yrs now. The only issue I have ever had is with the light units,my Rio180 is on it's 2nd unit,and that hasn't been working for a month or so now,I suspect it could be the switch,just havn't had a chance to get a look. Others have complained about the heater,but I have no issues with them yet,and the 180 is still o it's original.

As for the filter,most people hate them,and pull them out for asthetics reasons,then they go and bung in a 'freestanding' heater with it's cable dangling in,and the same with an internal. Personally I prefer the nice tidy enclosed Juwel box. They have a huge media capacity(compared to other internals),and they have a nice slow turnover,allowing the bacteria to do their job. However,if I was to get a bigger Rio,I would add an external as well.

Yeah, I'm getting a vision 180 quite soon, but I'll have a eheim 2213 or 2215 running on it at least for more filtration. I quite like the look of the internals too. Yeah, I've heard a number of complaints about the rio 180 lights, but nothing about the other sizes, so who knows. lol