Stocking 4 foot tank with something "rare and unusual"

Hey all

I have a 4 foot tank which is 250 litres, and im looking for some cool fish to put in it. Currently i have 2 angel fish, a school of golden barbs, a small pleco, 2 blue gouramis and lone silver shark.

Anyway im quite tired of this stocking as they are all very usual fish which are often stocked in most tanks, so i would like an interesting community fish to go in with them. However im no expert in these rare and usual fish, so i would like advice. Im considering a "Leopard Ctenopoma" but i cannot seem to find much information on them. Will they be difficult to feed anything but live fish? And would that fish suit my community tank?

Im also after advice for other fish which you guys recommend would be cool, interesting, and friendly enough for this tank.

Thanks

Pantodon Butterflyfish, Black Ghost Knifes, Elephant noses, Hatchets, Banjo Catfish, Synodontis, Whiptails, Archerfish, Mudskippers, Nandus Nandus, Birchirs, all are pretty neat looking. Different. And to my knowledge most of them are relatively peaceful.

Thanks for the input guys, but like i said, im no expert. I literally have NO idea how to look after an eel at all. Can an eel even fit in my tank? What do they eat? And Ethanyo.....well rather than listing fish i would like your opinion on the BEST out of those and like i said reasons as to why i should have those fish, because i really have no idea on feeding, tank requirements, tank mates etc etc. Keep the advice coming though the more the better.

I've PMed you the thread with details on my eel.

I think he will get to about 20-25cm max. He's one of the small types and won't grow too big. I believe he is a striped peacock eel / peacock variant.

EEls are groundwellers, territorial and like hidey places. They can eat small fish that fit in their mouth but my eel hasn't eaten the guppies in his tank , just the occasional guppy fry.

I don't think eels are particularly difficult to look after compared to most other tropicals. My 14 yr old daughter took care of him , fed him every 2nd day, regular tank maintenance, that sort of thing.. BUT he will need a tank with a secure lid. He hasn't tried to escape but our last eel did, and succeeded!

See what other people think, if an eel would be suitable for you. Get back to me if you're still interested as I will put him on Trademe soon.

They will all be relatively easy to maintain, the reason I listed a heap was so you could search them up on google images, and/or youtube to find out how they look. I would start by finding something you like the look of, all of those shouldn't be hard at all to feed etc. Mudskippers need a bit of land, so maybe not in your tank. Banjo cats should have sand so they can burrow. But like I said, I think it's more important you find something you like the look of. Ghost Knifes are neat, Elephant noses too. Something is only as good as what it's compared to. Something others don't like, you may!

Ghost knives are one of the coolest fish around, BUT they can get to about 60cm. They eat just about anything and aren't too fussed about water parameters as long as it's clean and stable. When they eat, they make a clicking noise which can be heard about 3m from the tank. Mine used to eat floating pellets, sinking pellets, algae pellets, bloodworms, whitebait, small fish..

He was just saying. But I do think an eel would be quite cool, especially when it's hand fed. Or maybe a puffer? Dwarf puffers stay small and have lots of personality. You could have quite a few in a 4' add some ottos would be quite cool, heavily plant it would look sweet!

BGK's are an awesome looking fish and would probably be ok depending on the width of you tank, you would have a lot more choice with a decent sized tank.

Henward was just advising about the size of a fish someone else recommended for your tank which is exactly what you asked for.

You ask for advice then chastise when its given. :roll: