fire extinguihers - new tap

myfishybuisness

i took my old fire extinguiher to get its tested and filled, and a new tap put on it ( as old one was not a tap) it was guna cost $215 for it all, and i just brought one from hwff for 200, it is the same size, how can they justify $215 , and also anyone know where i could get it done cheaper , bottle is 7.5kg

the cost of repairing something is very simple: parts cost + labour cost = charge amount

the manufacturing of new products by several thousand at a time is often going to be cheaper especially when there are so few components in something like a fire extinguisher. we repair more complex & expensive things like our cars becuase they generally fail with a part that costs a fraction of the over all value of the vehicle & the labour is not enough to make it viable to repair.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a recycled fire extinguisher but it was modified with a proper tap when I got it last year. This past May when I went to get it refilled at Air Liquide, they said the tap needed to be upgraded since that old style was known to explode. Some guy in Oz had water backflow into the cylinder and the wet valve couldn't handle the pressure and it exploded. So that caused an industry wide change of the valve types in both Oz and NZ.

Anyway...they took the old tap off and put the new one on. Took 5 minutes, didn't cost me anything and the tap looked exactly the same as the old one... :dunno:

I have a recycled fire extinguisher but it was modified with a proper tap when I got it last year. This past May when I went to get it refilled at Air Liquide, they said the tap needed to be upgraded since that old style was known to explode. Some guy in Oz had water backflow into the cylinder and the wet valve couldn't handle the pressure and it exploded. So that caused an industry wide change of the valve types in both Oz and NZ.

Anyway...they took the old tap off and put the new one on. Took 5 minutes, didn't cost me anything and the tap looked exactly the same as the old one... :dunno:

As in the same one I have? Hopefully they do that for me next time. I'd rather not have an explosion.

lol, seriously, I can't imagine how water got into the cylinder, through the regulator and one way valves and all that, but anyway, Air Liquide is good about it. A refill is only $30 so even if you took it in early for a refill, it would not break the bank or anything. :wink: