fish shed gets the go ahead

jackp

i've been trying to convince my girlfriend to let me get another tank, but she doesn't want another big tank in the house. outside the house, however, is a different story. i had already comandeered the garden shed as a kennel for my dog bruce, which was kind of a waste of space as he only ever goes in there to sleep. it is about 2m by 3m and has a concrete floor. so this weekend i'll build bruce a new kennel and get to work converting the garden shed into a fish shed. i'll have to start off small as finances are a bit low at the moment, but i can get building materials cheap (and recycled materials free from the house i'm working on) and get a mate to help out with the electrical stuff. i'll only put a couple of tanks in to start with, but i'm sure that will grow as i find new species i want to breed (i'll start with julies). i was looking forward to doing a planted display tank, but don't think this is a bad plan b.

the tank racks will be made from the benches i've built for the pet expo, so it will be a wee while before it's up and running. as for an 8ft tank, definitely on the wish list, but seems a shame to have it in a shed in the back yard. that might have to wait till i build my mancave (part of house extension plans that will probably be years away).

the tank racks will be made from the benches i've built for the pet expo, so it will be a wee while before it's up and running. as for an 8ft tank, definitely on the wish list, but seems a shame to have it in a shed in the back yard. that might have to wait till i build my mancave (part of house extension plans that will probably be years away).

Hmm but those racks will only allow 1 row of tanks? That's not cool, should be at least 2 if not 3 tanks high..

cheers mate. should be alright with the initial setup as i'll only have a few tanks. as i get more tanks and have to setup filters to multiple tanks etc i'll probably need a few pointers. and i'll definitely need advice on breeding.

i have tried that. she likes clown fish (and fire shrimp). i'm keen to go down the marine path at some point, but not quite yet. also the house is recently carpeted and i'm not too sure about a marine tank on carpet. have been looking at nano tanks. one day.

looks like the shed will be put off for this weekend. doing a lot of demolition work in the coming week, so there is a good chance i'll be able to get some free timber. not sure how much it will cost to do the electrics, but hoping to keep the framing, insulating and lining to less than $200.