My 122L tropical Marine

reptilez

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...thanks..i will probably get some snails and a phosphate reactor

Thats ok, but you need to find the source of the nutrients your tank obviously has. Snails and phosphate remover are like the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, you need to stop the jumpers!

You are putting too much food and additives etc into the tank and you filtration is not coping - you need to limit the food your adding - use rodi water - make sure your skimmer is working or find a better one - and do more water changes - maybe 10 -20% a week rather than 50% every 3.

Its a matter of balancing what you are putting in to what you are taking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Nanos are hard to keep the parameters stable, a larger tank, despite the top ups would be easier to look after. Also you will have to watch the temps don't get too high in a smaller tank.

I have a 108l that I top up with PureDew - Countdown is more reliable where we are for keeping stock of it. I use about 10l per week and costs me $7.05, and the tank is in an area where the ambient temperature is quite stable, so no need for a chiller or bottles of frozen water.

Not that I know much about marines, but if your doing 10% water changes a week on a 100L and it cost you $7 after a year it really adds up $7x52=$350 so wouldn't it be cheaper to invest in a RODI unit? Looking at the ones reptilez posted they are under that(based on the ones on tm). I'm not sure about all of it but makes sense in my head? Plus if you factor in what Zev said about temp and parameters, the time and money you may spend on fixing them :dunno:

Is the nano going to be plumbed into your sump? if you're not skimming the nano you'll need to do about 30% per week depending on stock and feeding levels.

i am not going to have a sump . i am going to have a nano skimmer on it...i got told by a staff peson at HFF that 1/3 water change per month is sufficient

While I don't want to suggest that HFF got it wrong, and your fish will survive at 30% per month, you're already having issues that more frequent water changes can fix so planning to do monthly water changes is just asking for more trouble. In a nano the chances of things getting out of hand quickly are much more likely and weekly water changes will reduce the chances of things getting out of hand and there still being 3 weeks before the next water change to reset the system. I don't know anybody with a salt water tank of any size that does monthly water changes and I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you plan to.