Nitrites and Cycling

Funkytown

Hey all,

So the tank has been running for a couple of weeks now with no losses (knock on wood), and I was getting ready to add "batch of fish #3", and thought I'd try out all my testing kits before I did a water change and went to the lfs. I'd been keeping an eye on ammonia, but I ignored nitrite because I tend to hear more about ammonia than nitrites. :roll:

Anyway, when I decided to christen my nitrite testing kit, it rewarded me with a vibrant crimsony-maroony-purply colour, very pretty, until I checked it on the card. Off the charts.

So I did a 25% water change using the gravel cleaner syphon, rinsed out the filter (for the first time), and tested again; a very slightly lighter shade of the same colour. I added a couple big squirts of Stress-Zyme, and decided against going to the lfs. Bristlenose will have to wait.

Is this a normal part of cycling? Ammonia has never really cropped up too much at all, and I thought I was going slow, (waiting a week, adding two fish) I thought I was doing well.... :(

It IS just a small tank at only 34 liters (AquaOne 380). I probably am overfeeding still. Is this just how it goes? Am I seeing a normal nitrite spike at about the right time, or do I need to do something different?

Thanks,

Brian ;)

yes this sounds pretty normal. ammonia will spike first, then nitrite then nitrates. you probably missed testing the ammonia spike. continue what you are doing and nitrifying bacteria colonies will build up and slowly consume the nitrites (then your nitrates will go up next :D )

except... how many fish are you adding? at 34 litres you should be keeping no more than about half a doz average size fish (and im talking from the fishes point of view!)... and even then you should only have one or two in there for a good month or so. any reason for keeping such a small tank? much harder to keep stable than a larger tank.

Read these:

http://www.bestfish.com/breakin.html

http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html

yes this sounds pretty normal...

Thanks for that mate! That second link was quite useful. Looks like I'm right on track! ;)

except... how many fish are you adding? at 34 litres you should be keeping no more than about half a doz average size fish (and im talking from the fishes point of view!)..

This is a point for discussion.

Firstly, I'm keeping a small tank mainly because it was a gift. If I had bought one it'd likely be larger. Still, I'm not complaining. My girlfriend done good, and measured up a good place for it and bought the tank accordingly (fantastic surprise, best gift ever!). I'm sure a bigger tank is on the cards in the future... ;)

Hollywood FF reckons I can keep up to 30(!) fish in this size tank, so long as I'm good about water changes, etc. This sounded like a heck of a lot to me (anyone would think that they SELL fish or something ;)), and my reading had indicated a far smaller number, along the lines of what you suggest. As I've mentioned in other posts, my eyes are notoriously bigger than my tank, and I'd love to have schools of yellowfin tuna if I thought my tank could accomodate, but instead I'm settling (in concept) for around 10-15, modifying numbers to suit as I see how full the tank is looking. I was thinking...

-2-3 dwarf gourami

-5-6 tetras

-3-4 corys

-1 bristlenose

This is well open to change, as I've only got 3 corys and 1 dwarf gourami at this stage. I welcome other suggestions and ideas. I'm just feeling my way through at this stage, with everyone's help! :D

Hi scalare here

The best way of calculating how many fish you can have is

0.5 cm of fish per tlr. max 1cm of fish per ltr.

example 1 neon tetra grows up to 5cm this is 5 ltr.

Befour you put ani (buy) fish in your tank ask what the full size they grow to. And dont believe the farrytale that fish grow to the size of the thank this is only have (1/2) treu they my not grow up to ful size but they can stil grow to big fore your tank. When you have to many or to large fish after a while some fish wil pas away.

I work in a pet store with the name animates if I think that a person has to many fish I dont sell them more fish but give theme advise. If you have a new hobby and your fish keep pasing away you loos interest. I hope the person in your pet store thinks the same.

sorry fore my spelling

scalar

I have seen references saying neons grow to 5cm. I don't believe them. It probably started as 1.5 inches, got rounded up to 2 inches and then converted to metric to get 5 cm.

I forsee that soon 5cm will get confused with 5 inches, that will get converted back to cm, and then rounded up to 30 cm. Thirty centimeters will become 50 cm on the assumption it was an average size. Someone will correct the mistake, but mistype the c and before you know it we will have 5 m long neon tetras savaging small children who get too close to the rivers edge.

...before you know it we will have 5 m long neon tetras savaging small children who get too close to the rivers edge.

Funny you should say that, because I heard this story from a guy that knew a guy that read something about this boy that... :lol:

(good one spooky) :lol:

Brian