so anyway... hot water cylinders ...

Sophia

Last night I had a warm but not hot shower, this morning the hot tap ran water that was cooler still. There seems to be a slow leak of some sort around the base of the cylinder as the wood it sits on is a little damp (no pools of water). Last power bill was normal so is either a recent event or very slow fault. We turned it off at the mains to slow down any further trouble in the morning, then the landlord came over after lunch and turned it on, and turned it up to see if it would heat. The pipes and the water are now hot again. Am yet to have a shower and see if it can do it again.

What would cause a) a leak by itself in a 5 year old tank and b) the water to not heat in the first place but to work again later or c)both ? Does anyone know about these?

:dunno:

if it was a leak causing the problem there would be a lot of water (a slight trickle would not affect the temp of the water). possibly the thermostat is playing up and the heater didn't kick in. if it happens again get your landlord to call an electrician to have a look at it.

Well this morning the water was lukewarm again and there was a new leak around the cylinder that had gone onto the floor this time. Have sent the landlord some photos which will further ruin his weekend and fingers crossed someone turns up tomorrow to fix or replace it.

luckily this one is in the garage that is under the house and sitting on concrete floor so no serious floor can occur, at least not like sitting on wooden floor. Landlord is sending someone today, so hopefully will be resolved one way or the other ASAP

Our hot water was also coolish on Sunday. Made me wonder if the power people were fixing something as I have had the water go inexplicably cold before, even rang the landlord to complain before I thought to ring the power company, and sure enough they had turned it off "for maintenance".

Tho if yours is leaking it needs replacing regardless of how hot your water is.