Frontosa availability

rcon021

That kinda makes a mockery of the lengths people go to trying to differentiate different varieties based on the bars doesn't it?

Well I guess there are distinct different ones in the lake, but we have like F1000 fish mass produced from god knows what species overseas and simply just sold as "frontosa" then it is very hard to decide what they are apart from calling it a frontosa, unfortunately this applies to most of the species that we have in NZ :( But yes if we had descent stock that was well bred and traceable down to a wild caught population then the number of strips alongside other things would differentiate the different species..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=9

No you wont know whos got them. They do not come here, never would.

2 lots were imported many years ago.

Shell had one lot. Not all survived.

Someone else has the others.

There are a few differences in Kigoma, not just the stripes ....

No you wont know whos got them. They do not come here, never would.

2 lots were imported many years ago.

Shell had one lot. Not all survived.

Someone else has the others.

There are a few differences in Kigoma, not just the stripes ....

lol the age old "you will never know, never see them and never see any pics" :) Gotta be good, lets hope if they are here they are being bred and spread so that everyone can enjoy them, and yeah if they are true kigoma there would be other differences - they have been described as a different species so there must be other differences..

Its not that 'you will never know' its the fact mate that the person that has them doesnt come here nor know anyone here, therefor wont post pics now would they? They dont care to share what they have for thier reasons, like many other fish and people in NZ.

We only got 1 boy from the line, and passed it back on to someone that had others, so we never got photos as it was only very small at the time. Sorry. We passed it on so it could be put back in the line for breeding.

We only got 1 boy from the line, and passed it back on to someone that had others, so we never got photos as it was only very small at the time. Sorry. We passed it on so it could be put back in the line for breeding.

It sounds as though you know the person with them, so would you be able to ask the person with them if they could take a few photos and pass them on to you so that you could post them on here for us to see them. That way we will never know who has them but atleast we would get to see these amazing fish here in NZ.

thanks

Yeah it is well known that people hide what they have for their own reasons.. But it seems a shame that people take this to the degree that they never share or breed and spread them so that everyone can enjoy them.

Agreed.

Sorry asked long ago, he doesnt want to. But they were breeding. Keeps to himself. Not interested in money, just the pleasure of the fish.

Agreed.

Sorry asked long ago, he doesnt want to. But they were breeding. Keeps to himself. Not interested in money, just the pleasure of the fish.

Bugger, I actually find this very selfish but that is just my opinion I guess. Even if not interested in money he could give them away so that others could also have the pleasure of enjoying the fish too, oh well I guess we can only hope that someone imports some new frontosa and produces some pics and/or sells them so we know they are real and that everyone can enjoy them and ensure they stay in the country.

Bugger, I actually find this very selfish but that is just my opinion I guess. Even if not interested in money he could give them away so that others could also have the pleasure of enjoying the fish too, oh well I guess we can only hope that someone imports some new frontosa and produces some pics and/or sells them so we know they are real and that everyone can enjoy them and ensure they stay in the country.

Agreed.

But nothing we can do if they dont want too.

hi guy's,

The two imports in were burundi, I bought the first lot of a guy or what he had left, some had died. :cry: I then got some brought in. Nothing ever came in a kigoma, just burundi/frontosa. Yes I had one that had seven bars (male) and the other male (big boy bob) six bars. Big boy did all the breeding, unless the other fella was sneaky.

Anyway burundi frontosa . I bought some overhere, burundi 6 one of them has seven bars, so i bought 5 seven bars kigoma, two seperate tanks now. there is quite a difference colour wise and wether it just be the extra stripe but the 7 bars look more slender not so stocky.But in saying that my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.

Getting some Moba's, buying 2 at a time exspensive, should have them next week. At least the difference will be well clear, quite a mask they have and the colour :bounce: :bounce: Its only taken almost 5 years, can't wait I'll be in fishie heaven I reckon. when i got the first lot, the kids reckoned i didn't stop smiling for weeks.

One of my daughters caught me talking to them, saying goodnight. She thinks i'm quite mad.

Anyways better go got to do some gardening.

Shelley

Shelley, you do know I am just down the road & if you are variants of Fronnies to just ask me & I can get in contact with breeders who I know went straight to wholesalers... & in one case, picked them out for himself. Hope its all going well for ya up there too.

ps; I understand a person not wanting to post pics of his fish, especially with talipia in its name too. I know a few secretive fish keepers, then again, when I had my stunning white calvus & got them breeding I liked to show them off lol

Hope the snow isn't effecting all the fish keepers in kiwi land too

Frenchy :)

Hi guys,

I had Maf arrive on my door in nz, They said that as they were adults by then and I had already distributed babies Nz wide they were safe as houses, as for bringing in new ones well!!!!! So all you fronnie lovers show off those fronnie pics.

Hi herefishiefishie,

What is the going rate for moba's that you can get? I can get them for $250 each, thats off a Aquarium shop here in Bundy.

shelley