UGH more car trouble

So we were just leaving home last night and the clutch cable broke :an!gry Our car is 17 years old and we are just in the process of getting a new garage put up and THEN we are getting a new car. We have the money to get it now but hubby is intent on getting the new garage first :roll: I'm so over it. This is the second time in a month or so that it's broken down and now we're going to spend more money on it when we're just going to end up selling it anyway GRRR and I don't even think we'll recover the costs when we sell it because it's so old. :cry:

It sucks when bloody cars keep breaking down, and they always do it just before you are due to sell them, you end up fixing everything and just wondering if you should keep them because everything has been fixed..

On the plus side a clutch cable should be easy to fix yourself I did one a while back, it should cost stuff all from parts master etc.. Hardest part I found was hooking it upto the clutch pedal I was upsidedown wedged under the steering column with the seat right back trying to hook it up, but it was no real biggie.

It's a Nissan Primera 1994. My hubby got it in 2001.

We called a mobile mechanic just to get it back on the road ASAP because with kids we really need it ... we have to do grocery shopping and it's just a real inconvenience.

Anyway, will cost about $320 and we're waiting on him now. I'm not sure he's going to end up coming. Why does it ALWAYS break down on Friday or Saturday?! LOL :an!gry Why can't it break down on Monday or during the week. It has to break down over the weekend when no one is open and my hubby will probably end up having to catch the train to work early in the morning as he starts at 7am and pay for a taxi to the train station and then train to work. Then he might have to finish early to get the car from the garage. ARGH

Anyway, so yeah it may be more expensive to get the mobile mechanic around but he won't have to worry about taxis and trains on Monday morning and also after work. :(

the luck of the draw.We have a 92 primera we got about that time.it had 45000 k`s on it then and now has 202000 and has been the best car ever,still on the same battery it came with and only ever needed one suspension part,brake pads etc.hope I have not put a hood do on it now?

I had my Silvia for almost 10 years and only replaced a fuel pump and clutch master cylinder on it, Grand total of about $200 in repairs. 200SX for even longer, just the fuel pump replaced. Might be little annoying things or wear items(Batteries, brake pads etc don't count) that cause problems, but rarely anything that actually takes it off the road.

the luck of the draw.We have a 92 primera we got about that time.it had 45000 k`s on it then and now has 202000 and has been the best car ever,still on the same battery it came with and only ever needed one suspension part,brake pads etc.hope I have not put a hood do on it now?

I think we've had about 3-4 replacement batteries for this car :an!gry

Sounds like you brought a dud one.. Or one that had reached a stage where everything wore out..

Nissans are good but don't buy anything with a qg engine in it.. They are known for blowing head gaskets which ours did and cost a fortune within a month of buying it..

How long have you had it? 3-4 years between battery replacements isn't unusual, especially if you're the type to frequently drain the battery.

Do the headlights dim a little when it's idling? It could be the alternator (a little generator basically - it charges the battery and supplies current to the car) needs looking at. If it isn't putting out enough current, it shortens battery life a lot. Auto electricians are notoriously expensive though, sorry :evil: