Sexing young leopard geckos

Bobyn

Someone on this auction is saying they can sex a 4 month old pair of leps to 100% certainty.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=385512287&permanent=0

From everything about leps I have ever read and been told this is impossible so young. Am I wrong and there is a way? If there is Id love to know what it is?

I dont see why keeping it a secret will benifit the breeders in anyway?

There has been breeders that say they have males .. so they say .. and I have been caught myself ..

I have brought males that were 100% and all been females when they grow up ..

The only male that I have truly brought was one that was about 5/6 months old and

is a male ( you can see the right parts by then ) and I have had babies .

I have tried myself to do males though dep control with no luck so far but will not give up.

I have 2 at the moment that were done at what I thought was the right dep but still waiting to see

what they are .

They are about 3 months old and still cannot tell .. if there was a better way to know would love to know but

with all the research I have found none so far but to wait ..

Reptilenutt I think I actually have one of yours!!

I agree I have found no information whatsoever on any possible way of being certain of sex at such a young age. It seems to me they are just trying to push sales which I think is unfortunate for people who may be just getting into keeping reptiles and may get put off by ending up with something other than what they thought they were buying.

I would love to know if my juvies are going to be male or female.

Reptilenutt I think I actually have one of yours!!

I agree I have found no information whatsoever on any possible way of being certain of sex at such a young age. It seems to me they are just trying to push sales which I think is unfortunate for people who may be just getting into keeping reptiles and may get put off by ending up with something other than what they thought they were buying.

I would love to know if my juvies are going to be male or female.

I do agree with what you are say that people should help if possible ..

There is a lot of information that is lost because not all of us will share and that is not just in reptiles

but in all animal live ..

and yes it will be one of mine and hope all is well ???

Yeah if not it would look a lot better as a seller for them to just tell us their method rather than being so mysterious. It just makes it very suspicious. I hope my own comments warn any potential buyers hoping to breed from them.

As for probing I wouldnt even consider it and I dont really think its something people would attempt at home?

Temp sexing, be the person onto it or not, is still not 100% as they stated, plus they said they had another way.

Reptilenutt - Shes great. My biggest of 3, good healthy appetite and very very curious. I have to keep an eye on her during feeding as she constantly climbs up my arms or trys to wander down the table. She has a lot of black spots on her, which I quite like as my others have litlle black on the,. She also has quite a bit of violet, more than Ive seen on others before, Ill see if I cn dig up a pic.

DNA testing ???? im pretty shore it 100%. i know you can do it with birds. for birds you just take a feather and send it away, think its about $20 a pop so would be worth it if your selling them for $300-400 unless you have to send a toe or something :facepalm: .

I was told by the original owner that 70% of the eggs he incubated for males (89 deg F or 32 deg C ) turned out to be fertile females. If you take the temperature up to 91 deg F you run the risk that any females will be super females and at 70 % it is not worth the risk. Super females behave like males (aggressive) and are not fertile.

Apparently someone in the states has found a way to sex really young juvies using a maglight. Basically the theory goes that you shine the maglight onto the tail/hemipenal area and if you see veins running to where the hemipenes are meant to be its a male and the lack of veins is a female.

Will try and find the link for you.

You're welcome.

Just something I would like to say to all the leo owners on here. I agree with what was said earlier about us needing to help each other. I come from SA where things are very different when it comes to the attitude amongst reptile owners. I understand that SA is huge and there is so much available and that NZ is small with not that much to offer and people get paranoid about theft but we really need to be more of a community and share info. There is so much available on the net but personal experience shared is invaluble. People may disagree on some points but that's ok. It comes down to personal experience. C'mon guys....what do you say......

You're welcome.

Just something I would like to say to all the leo owners on here. I agree with what was said earlier about us needing to help each other. I come from SA where things are very different when it comes to the attitude amongst reptile owners. I understand that SA is huge and there is so much available and that NZ is small with not that much to offer and people get paranoid about theft but we really need to be more of a community and share info. There is so much available on the net but personal experience shared is invaluble. People may disagree on some points but that's ok. It comes down to personal experience. C'mon guys....what do you say......

I agree, Ive had help from one breeder, you know who you are!! and I would be completely stuck without their help!

We should be trying to get more people interested in reptiles!

Good on you Perpin for sharing your info, that is what a true breeder would do :thup:

Exactly, the way I see it the more help and info we spread the more people will become interested making the market for sales widespread, so even if people are only breeding for the sales (which is not why I have my trio) the openess can only help the market not hinder it.