the big boys arrive! New discus

Nymox

Sorry to hear about the problems with your big discus, I really hope he pulls through.

Despite their reputation, Discus are fairly robust. I had a female breeder shipped overnight from Auckland to CHCH early last year, she managed to puncture both thick bags - only her head was in water when I opened the box. She was still breathing though but I was 100% certain she would die. She lay on the bottom of the tank for three days, on her side. Now, I can't stop her laying eggs! I am almost at the point of destroying her clutches of eggs as I am running out of tanks for the fry!

BTW, I will never use couriers for large Discus, ever again.

Hope it works out for you.

I have been watching him through the peep hole for about half an hour now, he was on his side most of the time but just picked himself up, had a little swim and went to settle down in the ambulia forest, which is good because its holding him up. He seems a lot more alert then this morning, I will still leave it blacked out until he is up and acting like all the rest. But I am quietly confident he will be ok.

I went to check on him later and he wasn't breathing at all. I pulled him out of the tank into a bucket of tank water, and started flushing water through his gills using a syringe, I spent most of the early hours of thursday morning doing this till eventually I got him breathing on his own. He has been sitting at the bottom of the tank ever since, breathing on his own still but hes not happy.

OMG! the commitment!! You are a legend Nymox!! These guys def went to the right home!

Haha thanks Jazzyjeff I only do what anyone would really, try save their fish.

He's up and about now, and shimmying away, it was about 1am he snapped out of it, shook himself a little and went and started flirting. I will get some pictures later on in the afternoon when the sun has moved to the other side of the house, otherwise its just a big mirror..Plus it gives him more time to rest though he has other things on his mind now. Looking a little raggy from the MTS and corydora but he'll be fine, lots of little water changes :)

Here is a few shots, yes I know the glass needs a clean but I want to give them some more space (i supposed sticking a camera in their face doesn't help matters) Mr Big Orange has a piece missing from the front of his dorsal fin, It looks like it is slowly growing back but I like it! It has been there since he was young so I don't think it will fully recover, gives him character hehe. He's looking raggy from all the MTS and corydora helping themselves to soft fins while he was sitting on the bottom. From head to tail the orange male is about 16cm, Its made me think seriously about using this tank as a sump on the 2.4 meter :/ If only I could do maintenance on it.

DSCF3383.jpg

DSCF3379.jpg

DSCF3377.jpg

DSCF3373.jpg

DSCF3369.jpg

I will try get a photo of the fin extensions on big Mr Blue later too, they're very long almost like a VT ram.

I just need lots and lots of sword plants now, pygmy chain especially. Then its on to the 100 cardinal tetra and 10 marble hatchets. (ouch my pocket)