how to, birthing guppies.

waterlogged

ok didn't know what to name this so just wrote any old thing.

I have a largish female guppie that just doesn't want to drop her babies, I have taken the male out, the babies out from her previous spawning almost 2 months ago and provided loads of floating plants for the young.

How do I get her to spawn? any ques I can use?

She is currently in with 2 smaller females, aprox 50 GBA babies and 2 mystery blue snails.

Any suggestions?

When mine started looking dangerously big I did a large waterchange (about 70%) in the evening and turned the lights off. I woke up the next morning and she'd dropped :happy2: I'm not sure if it was the waterchange or just her time but either way its worth a shot! Also make sure she's had plenty to eat, that way she's less likely to try and eat her fry.

She's always at the top and I feed them 3 times a day on decap brineshrimp and microworms. I never seem to have much luck with guppies of all things, last batch was the first one that I have had more than 4 fry., one of the smaller ones looks a tad prego too but hasn't drop any since I put her in with the male 3 months ago.

Something also to be aware of is that on the occasion a female livebearing fish can choose to re absorb her fry. Also and especially with guppys, sometimes something has gone wrong as the guppy has growen (genetically) and it is actually unable to release or fully gestitate the fry, so gets heavy and then re absorbs, not by choice, but threw nessecity (sp?) This can be a result of poor outcrossing which has left a genetic blunder as far as breeding potency is concerned and can be seen in but not limited to, a lot of albino livebearers.

There are two sure fire ways to increase fry drops, regularity of these drops and health of the fish. IMO NEVER use a breeding trap unless you want to increase your chances of loseing your breeding fish. Have plenty of floating water sprite and well fed fish and you should be fine depending on specie your stocking.

Firstly as already stated, plenty of high qaulity foods, live foods are the best, and through previous dealings i would say specifically, white worms and baby brine shrimp.

Secondly as also previously stated, its all down to your conditions! Plenty of clean fresh water, smaller but more regular water changes, and when it finally comes time that she looks so huge shes going to pop, increase the water temp by a couple degress, then do a large water change and leave over night. Livebearering fish will often release there fry over night and the ignition for this can be the large tempreture swing.

When your fish does release, record the date, expect fish in optimal condition to release a good amount of fry if mature every 4 weeks, at the lastest 6 weeks, sometimes it depends on the specie aswell.

Also and especially with guppys, sometimes something has gone wrong as the guppy has growen (genetically) and it is actually unable to release or fully gestitate the fry, so gets heavy and then re absorbs, not by choice, but threw nessecity (sp?) This can be a result of poor outcrossing which has left a genetic blunder as far as breeding potency is concerned and can be seen in but not limited to, a lot of albino livebearers.

I hope that's not what's wrong with my albino SS female :facepalm: Only time will tell I guess..

With fish like this the only thing you can do is supply them with optimum conditions, make sure there are various males that can supply fertile packets, then wait and watch.

Every month they will re fertilize, this means a new chance for potential life, sometimes it may fail, other times you may get one or two viable fry, other times more.

The issue then becomes, how fertile are the fry? this is where outcrossing is neccesary.

It can be really frustrating!

I picked up some beautiful wild colored lyre tail swordtails over a year ago that i was keen to breed, Within a couple months the males were useless, as there gonopodiums grew to long to be useful, but they were pretty so i kept them, grew the females out and got some pineapple swords to hopefully packet the females, the males (and females) were genetically weak and eventually karked it, i only have one female left to this day, and she is a giant, she gets huge, you would expect hundreds of fry, but she only ever once produced 9 babys, every four- five weeks shes skinny again but never any fry.

I grew the 9 babys out, 2 males the rest females, none of them where fertile, so gave them away. Pineapple swordy males still going hard though. The wild types originally came from a friend who had, had the same stock of swordtails breeding over in the same large tank for over 8 years! She said she used to get hundreds every month in the beginning and how she would give them away to other hobbyists, but now she only gets one or two fry every now and then and that 50% are deformed. This is the result of inbreeding and is becoming more and more common

Stands to reason that if they were all grown from the same batch they will have all been fertilized around the same time, this is how you get multiple drops in a short period of time, I find new fry every week in my tank, they have no set times as they are fish from all over the show.

All you can do is keep up the good work waterlogged and it will happen eventually.