June 15, 201115 yr comment_440389 Hoping others can help me as I have heard that breeding Convicts is easy. I have a pair of Convicts, they bred, had about 200 babies swimming round, also had a yellow and green severum in the tank. They eventually killed the yellow severum, and the green has disappeared so maybe they got that too. The babies are a few months old now and there is only like 10 left - what has happened to the rest? I have just let them be so have not interfered by taking any out or anything. They have now laid another lot of eggs and they are starting to hatch tonight. Will they try kill the remaining 10 from the last lot of fry to protect the new lot? Do I need to do anything? I am not really into setting up another tank as I was not intending on breeding them, they just went ahead and did it. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_440401 If you can find the sevrum remove it. they will most likely kill that to. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_440413 I don't think that the parents will kill the old fry because of the new batch - somehow they still recognise that the fry are theirs, in my experience anyway. But anything can happen. If you really want as many fry to survive as possible, it would be best to move them into another tank. Knowing convicts, you'll soon have more fry than you know what to do with, so just let them be - survival of the fittest. Those that survive to become juveniles can be sold to LFS or trademe or something. (Henward is looking for cheap convict feeders haha) Report
June 16, 201115 yr Author comment_440712 thanks for that, yea i am not looking for heaps to survive as such so not gonna go set up another tank or anything, happy to just see how many survive, just didnt think it would be 10 when they started with 200 Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_440966 Darwin predicted many many theorys on why things do things. In this context it could be applied to: Fish eating their matured fry to protect the new ones 1st batch stay back to help raise 2nd batch as there is not enough resources to breed there own ect Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.