Fish at surface

dom

Hello,

I did a TM impulse buy at the weekend and upped my tank from 60 litre to 100. I used the grave; the guy gave me with the second hand tank and filled the tank with about 2/3 of my 60 litres water. The rest was tap water and conditioner. I tested the temperature was ok and then added the fish. They seemed fine but today I noticed a lot of them are going to the surface for air (the loaches vertically). Last time this happened in my old tank was because the pump went. I'm pretty sure its not that this time as I am using the in built pump that came with the Blue Planet tank and also I am using my filter from the old tank. Unfortunately I don't have a test kit to see the composition of the water (and I guess i really should buy one now).

I don't know whether to do another water change (even though they had a large one yesterday as part of the move to the new tank) or if its an ammonia/nitrite problem. Any ideas ? I do have a sponge filter i could throw in too if you think that will help in the short term.

cheers

Could be a variety of reasons but I suggest you run an airline in to the tank to increase the amount of oxygen in the water and do a decent 30 -40% water change on the tank tonight.

That should improve the ammonia situation if there is one, which without a test kit you won't know.

Did you wash the gravel well before putting it in the tank?

Hi, no i just rinsed the gravel really. Its got a few furry bits in it too - mu;m i think ? He used to keep goldfish the guy I got it from.

I've put in my noisey sponge filter and will also do a water change before i go to bed. I think i'd better get one of those test kits as its impossible to know whats happening without one and I can only get to the LFS on a weekend.

Thanks for your help.

cheers

ok will do - they seem a lot happier now with the air sponge filter running. I'm going to be lazy and do the water change tomorrow.

regarding the new tank - how long do you recommend running my old filter in the tank alongside the new tanks filter ?

Also I will eventually take out this air sponge filter as its too noisy for my liking - but i will run it for a few days yet.

cheers

ok will do - they seem a lot happier now with the air sponge filter running. I'm going to be lazy and do the water change tomorrow.

regarding the new tank - how long do you recommend running my old filter in the tank alongside the new tanks filter ?

Also I will eventually take out this air sponge filter as its too noisy for my liking - but i will run it for a few days yet.

cheers

Don't be lazy its your fish's life that is in jeopardy. Do the waterchange, I suggest if you do take the sponge filter out to get an airstone or bubble wall. I myself have a blueplantet tank and have two bubblewalls because the outflow is not strong enough to oxygenate the whole tank. Your fish will love you if you do the waterchange and give them some oxygen. its also a good thing to thoroughly scrub anything you get from someone you don't know well. Like I said earlier its your fish's life that is on the line here.

If it is ammonia you will have either badly burnt or dead fish in the morning if you do not water change. All the sponge filter/airline is doing is adding more water to the tank, its not removing the 'poisons'. Its an assistance to the fish but is not likely to be the solution.

OK OK - I'll do it as soon as I get in tonight ! Luckily no dead fish this morning and they were all down the bottom again. I also am getting a Test Kit today.

BTW regarding water changes - is it OK to put in water from the hot tap to bring it up to temperature of the aquarium ? I've heard mixed thoughts on this one, but I need more than one watercan full now (I can keep one watercan in the house filled up from the night before).

BTW regarding water changes - is it OK to put in water from the hot tap to bring it up to temperature of the aquarium ? I've heard mixed thoughts on this one, but I need more than one watercan full now (I can keep one watercan in the house filled up from the night before).

It's perfectly fine to add hot water to bring it up to a near enough temperature. Just make sure it's not warmer than the tank that you're adding it to. The human hand is pretty good at telling temperatures so put your hand in the tank then in the bucket to see if it's warmer or colder.

It doesn't need to be a perfect match so don't stress. In the current situation you'd be better off doing a water change from a cold hose than none at all but the best water change will be one that has a mixture of cold and hot water to match the tank temperature.

Again, hot water mixed with cold water to match the temperature is fine.