WIPEOUT

reef

Before going to work today I thought I would do a quick top up.

I turned on my DI and went and did in few other things.

At work I get a call at 7pm to say that my lights aren’t on and that there is water coming out of my sump. I could not believe that I forgot to turn the DI off. and topped up about 1500L of fresh water.

I rushed home and added 40Kg of salt into my skimmer over 1 hour to get the salinity up to 1.025-1.026

As lucky, as I can’t see any loses after adding freshwater for 12 hours, Salinity dropped to 1.010

And to top it off it off this was my 3rd time in the space of 2 months.

You would think I learnt a lesson the first time.

Sorry to hear this, I hope you only have limited losses.

Automation fails,

humans err

no easy answer

I consider myself very lucky that with over 2 years away from my tank 5 days a week, I have had no issues at all due to failed technology. that said I keep things REAL SIMPLE for this reason.

i have lots of live rock

heaters are in tank (one set to keep at 24, one at 26)

pumps and heaters are on a a/b breaker arrangement. my tv is on A, video on b

if a or b go flatties will reset to get tv on :D

I have found skimmer cup overflowing back into sump after 5 days away a few times, no real bad effects so far.

I have auto topup but limit the total in the system to 30L, and tank is about 500L so even all in at once not a disater.

tanks acrylic so chance of springing a leak is way lower (personal opinion here, but you gotta see the joins!!!!!)

lights now on IKS, but had issues with cheap timers, will never use cheap timers again... had MH on for 5 days once... ouch!

i never dose kalk or additives while away......

flatties throw in food every 2nd day, but tank can survie for 5 days no feeding and often has... 4-5 times per year!

plumbing has no joins... all pipes flexible 1 piece! this will prob change now home all the time, but was major consideration when away.

chim - lots of people called me lots worse then simple ;^)

I have left my RO/DI system running overnight by accident twice! but i would never trust myself to run it into the tank directly... also when syphoning out the pipe bore is so big, it takes about 15 sec to fill a 25L container so no chance of leaving it running....

Peter

and i never even called you simple :lol:

im a little the opposite,.. I only spend money on quality equipment that is far less likely to fail. i've had cheaper pumps at the bottom of my closed loops that have leaked - never again. :-?

admittedly i've spent a $#@%-load for the size of my tank - but reefing is a lifetime hobby and i've got a life to enjoy it - not to mention a life to live outside of reef-keeping so the less maintenance for me the better (albeit an expensive one to setup!)

no..... :oops:

have been training for coast to coast and other things.....

but I have made the mounting plate etc for it. Just have to get a through fitting for the sump and all is away!

I may yet convert from a plastic contaner sump to a glass one with fitting already installed I got from AW ages ago when he sold up.

will def increase my in tank flow as I will put the 1060 into the tank...

that will give 40 as return, 2 x 1060 + 2 x tunze pulsing pumps (old but seemingly reliable)

Peter