First big display tank! (Pic heavy) Advice?

critter_crazy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still wanna get as much colour as I can into the tank since I'm only allowed the one downstairs :lol:

I'll probably end up with a school of cardinals instead of the neons, that way I have blue and red, how many could I have without overstocking?

Start with 15 and see how it looks? I can never judge how heavily stocked a tank is/will be until I actually see the fish swimming around and how much space they have.

IMO loose the neons and the bolivians and add all those fish, including ALL the cichlids you mentioned, 160l will be sweet, just make sure you have plenty of water changes and maybe add some livebearers as dither fish, pack it full of plants and make some hidy holes useing river rocks etc

Also it would be better to add all the cichlids at once, not one by one, otherwise you will have some establishing there own space which could cause some agression towards newer fish.

I have livebearers in all my other tanks so wanting to go for something a bit different :)

Good point about adding the cichlids!

Wish List is now looking like this:

3 Blue Rams

3 Golden Rams

10 Cherry Barbs

20 Cardinal Tetra

2 L140

6 Sterbai Cories

Still awhile off stocking yet so getting very impatient, but I want to have it planted first and do everything right :nilly:

mmmmmm just watch those cherrys! there usually well behaved in a school but barbs are biters!

With the rams try get pairs, ive often seen odd numbers of rams like 3 and the odd one out get really picked on.

I only mentioned livebearers as they will supply your cichlids with livefood as well as being very active dither fish.

I wouldnt have barbs and tetras together, but thats just me

The last few bits for the tank arrived from Hollywoods today, forgot to get some air hose and a check valve though so my bubble wall will have to wait till tomorrow :smln:

Sacraficial guppies are in the tank to start cycling. No-ones dead yet so all is going well :happy2:

needs pics :smln:

I think apistos over rams anyday :P much nicer fish an not to aggressive from what ive seen. If I didn't have Pelvicachromis taeniatus I would totally want them! I also like rainbow fish an cherry barbs. Neons are cool but from my friends past experiences they tend to not be as hardy as one would hope &c:ry definitely plant the tank out an get it real green, with some bottom dwellers an some top dwellers would be amazing :D.Be warned once you find your absolute favorite fish you will just want to breed them an you will probably end up selling off the others to do so... well at least thats what happened to me haha

needs pics :smln:

I think apistos over rams anyday :P much nicer fish an not to aggressive from what ive seen. If I didn't have Pelvicachromis taeniatus I would totally want them! I also like rainbow fish an cherry barbs. Neons are cool but from my friends past experiences they tend to not be as hardy as one would hope &c:ry definitely plant the tank out an get it real green, with some bottom dwellers an some top dwellers would be amazing :D.Be warned once you find your absolute favorite fish you will just want to breed them an you will probably end up selling off the others to do so... well at least thats what happened to me haha

I've already fallen in love with the blue ram so I just have to have them :lol:

Still thinking about the neons, I'm gonna add the other fish first and see how it looks (I'm keen on congo tetras too). I want a really green jungle, just need the money :happy2:

I've already got some albino guppies upstairs that I'm trying to breed but I'm already getting bored with them, I want cichlids! :love:

Pics tomorrow, I promise!

I've already fallen in love with the blue ram so I just have to have them :lol:

Still thinking about the neons, I'm gonna add the other fish first and see how it looks (I'm keen on congo tetras too). I want a really green jungle, just need the money :happy2:

I've already got some albino guppies upstairs that I'm trying to breed but I'm already getting bored with them, I want cichlids! :love:

Pics tomorrow, I promise!

I've had both a pair of blue rams and a pair of apistos in the same tank and they hate each other. At the moment I'd rather have rams anyday. Doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of ALL my apistos :D

Here we go, here's the progression over the last few days. Joshlikesfish is dropping off some plants later so will update when they're in :thup:

Bubble wall looks way better in person, and eventually plants will cover all the pipes, heater etc. I ran out of air hose which is why it runs diagonally :facepalm:

P1040511.jpg

P1040513.jpg

P1040520.jpg

P1040523.jpg