Taking photos of fish

Hdoubleu

How come when I come here you guys always have amazing photos but I can't manage to get good shots of my fish? Do I need a special lens? PLease tell me the secret.

It's nice you give us such an easy topic that people never argue about and can easily be answered in just a few lines. :P

In general, more light, more light, lots of light, hold the lens against the glass or at an angle so it doesn't catch reflections and turn on the macro mode

Try not to use the flash because it just burns against the glass, destroying a nice shot. Also, try to anticipate where the fish will head to next, so by focusing on the fish, you simply have to Click! as soon as you see it stop moving for a split second. Of course, a good camera makes things infinitely easier (though exponentially more expensive).. HTH! :wink:

Try not to use the flash because it just burns against the glass, destroying a nice shot. Also, try to anticipate where the fish will head to next, so by focusing on the fish, you simply have to Click! as soon as you see it stop moving for a split second. Of course, a good camera makes things infinitely easier (though exponentially more expensive).. HTH! :wink:

Make sure you do use the flash if you're low on light because light goes through glass and a 1/60second shutter speed blurs a lot less than half a second.

Make sure you do use the flash if you're low on light because light goes through glass and a 1/60second shutter speed blurs a lot less than half a second.

That is my problem, my non flash pictures look fanatstic colour wise but you can't make out anything because its so blurry, but with the flash I get this red line across (camera age) and its frustrating, cause it messes up a perfectly foccussed photo. I keep the camera close to the tank on an angle or far away and zoom in so I don't get the light spot caused by the reflection of the tank glass, just that damn red line :facepalm:

That is my problem, my non flash pictures look fanatstic colour wise but you can't make out anything because its so blurry, but with the flash I get this red line across (camera age) and its frustrating, cause it messes up a perfectly foccussed photo. I keep the camera close to the tank on an angle or far away and zoom in so I don't get the light spot caused by the reflection of the tank glass, just that damn red line :facepalm:

A red line from the flash? That sounds odd...Can you post an example?

I wouldn't use a flash unless its a remote one firing from above, The best thing is to have no light coming from infront of the tank and all of it coming from above. You could possibly make something with a spotlight and a polybox to act as a diffuser to temporarily increase the lighting in your tank, but the fish might freak out from the extra bright continuious light.

Here's the link I mentioned before; http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?349072-MFK-members-Basic-photo-sessions-from-Prep-to-finish

A red line from the flash? That sounds odd...Can you post an example?

My camera is old and needs replacing, I think it might be from kids dropping it that it does this, it also sometimes make a whole lot of lines across, will try and find an egsample of that as well. My camera is a Canon Powershot A75.

009.jpg