Shifting house with fish....

Suz0905

So we are shifting in 3 weeks... we have 11 tanks full of fish to shift.

We have the tanks in the garage at the moment, and our new house doesnt have a garage but we will be building one, so they will be temporarily moved inside, then moved into the garage once that is built.

Has anyone else moved alot of tanks??? Do you have any tips on how to make this as smooth as possible? Especially as we need to double move them. Also some of them are sumped now and as they are moving inside onto carpet we are planning on using sponge filters, have a couple of canister filters... This will probably be for 3 - 4 weeks max I think all going well with the garage.

Also we are building the garage specifically for the fish!!! ie we wont be parking the car in there! So we are thinking about putting the fish along the back wall and down one side. We have big square tables we built for them at the moment and 2 sit on each one... but I thought if we put them along the walls ... we could see them all ... and it would take up less space.

So... looking for tips from those who have set up fish rooms... and tips for shifting... Its seeming like a big mission... bad enough moving us... let alone masses of fish tanks!!

i used chilly bins to transport the fish & when I arrived at the new house i added air stones & heaters to them so i had plenty of time to set up the tanks. Fortunately I own a 100L chilly bin which makes a substantial holding tank, if you have or can borrow one it will be worth it. just keep in mind something that size will be very heavy.

I used poly bins from the LFS to move the fish, once the house move was completed it took another day to move the fish, you might be able to use large plastic bins but i found the poly kept the temp better until i could get the tanks setup again, 60 or 240ltr drums would be ideal if you want to use the existing water although i used the water from the poly bins and probably 50-75% tap water & had to re cycle everything as the filters were off for a while so bacteria died. Took all day to move 5 tanks and the tanks and stands take up a lot of room. Dont forget regular water changes for a little while until the tanks settle down again.

Where are you moving too? Best thing I did was to move the fish to a mates house, then move all our stuff and move tanks and fish gradually and in my own time.. Most polyboxes are water proof this is how I transported 15-20 tanks full of big fish just got the big boxes and put water and fish straight into them. A friend of mine just transferred the entire contents of her 8x3x3ft tank the same way and they are living in my room until she gets up and moved into her house and settled enough for fish again.

If you are setting up a room, insulate it first and make it as small as possible (obviously allowing viewing and moving room and room for more than 1 person etc) this will save you $$$$ over winter in heating costs! Failing that just buy an insulated shipping container and get some more tanks and you will be sorted :)

a few lessons learnt is: have low numbers of fish per bag, have them in closed poly boxes, if long trips (like moving 12 hours away) have heat packs or bags of hot water to help keep them warm. and pack the fish last and unpack them first.

Thanks for the tips... We have plastic barrels so will use at least 50% existing water I think... Poly boxes sound a good idea, will get hold of some of them.

We are thinking we have enough 'spare' tanks to get them set up where we are moving and then move the fish straight into them. And set up their usual tanks in the garage when we get it then swop them straight back in there...

My partner thinks the shipping container idea is a good one... and TM have some damnit... scarey!

We are just moving down the road so yeah fish wont be in poly boxes for toooooooo long we hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that no matter how well you tape down the lid, water will leak from those poly boxes. We traveled back from ChCh with a bin full of fish and the lid was taped down all the way around and we still had a wet boot! No big matter though as it is only water and dries.

Try doctors' surgeries and labs for poly boxes.

I drove my fish from Taupo to Invercargill without any mishaps, stopping at every Mc donalds for 2 bottles of hot water to top up the plastic bins bought from the Warehouse as we left a trail of water all the way. :facepalm: We only had 1 stop with :kiss: in Blenheim ( Caryl and Grant ) who stayed up till 1.30am to :spop: us. :hail::bow: Point being don't stress you will be fine.

Thanks!

Yeah we are not shifting far... so I guess the transporting of the fish wont be too bad... will be the dismantling, moving and resetting up of the tanks thats a pain in the butt! Tho we will just be plonking them in the house somewhere... to be moved again when the garage is built to their permanent home. Have bought a heap of sponge filters so hopefully that will keep them going til we get everything set up in the garage again.

Have some big containers for water, poly boxes for fish, a few small heaters/bubblers for while we are setting up etc....

Hopefully will all go well :D

Cant wait to get the garage up and get them set up properly!!

• 2 weeks later...

Made it. Kinda nice having the inside... no more going out into the garage at night when its cold!

Tho the slab is going down tomorrow so hopefully the garage will be up soon and they can be set up properly :)

Took a whole day to move/set up and there are still a couple of (now empty) tanks at the old place waiting to be moved over!

Fish all well and happy tho so thats the main thing :)

Made it. Kinda nice having the inside... no more going out into the garage at night when its cold!

Tho the slab is going down tomorrow so hopefully the garage will be up soon and they can be set up properly :)

Took a whole day to move/set up and there are still a couple of (now empty) tanks at the old place waiting to be moved over!

Fish all well and happy tho so thats the main thing :)

may i make a suggestion :smln: , maybe put a wall in at the back of the garage and insulate it , then put the tanks out there , and not get cold at night :thup:

Thanks :D Yeah its more the house to garage distance outside in the cold bit as its not internal access... Tho the distance house to garage in this house is gonna be like 3 m... in the last house had to go out the front door, across the section, down the side of the house then into the garage... like 10 - 15 m haha so will be a much quicker trip :D

Nice :)

We have a big tank in the lounge... its come in from the other garage, it had goldfish in it... now its got slush in it! Needs to be cleaned... but took 4 of us to lift it in here... and we cant move it ourselves... gonna start smelling soon :roll: Eventually its gonna be our display tank when we get sorted :thup: