Blue Koura

NZ_Fishboy

That would be Insect Direct's Koura if I'm not mistaken, nice and blue. It is: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=51989&p=566160

Most deep lakes and some deeper rivers will have blue koura in them. This happens as the deeper the water the less visual difference there is between blue and brown due to the filtering of light.

read an article about blue koura and upto 25% of them carry the blue Gene in some waterways, and is more likely to be expressed in a deeper body of water.

Yes I have actually seen this in several different places since you mentioned it. The deeper you go the blue winds up being just as camouflaging as brown. A blue cray in a shallow stream would probably get snapped up, but would survive nicely in a deep dark lake.

By the same token at lot of extremely deep weird ocean life is red, because they look much like black at that depth, and the other critters don't have red light receptors as red is one of the first wavelengths to get fully attenuated in water.

Hey just seeing this thread and when in taupo I saw a slightly blue koura. He was bout 7cm long a slightly blue tinge when I bought him out. Also found a massive pair of blue pinsirs I know I have pics here somewhere. I am going up this weekend and will keep an eye out. For you.

Just my 2 cents

• 3 months later...