Breeding snails

Sophia

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my questions: would it be OK to float a fine mesh breeding trap in an existing tank and breed ramshorns in it?

Reason I think to put them in a breeding trap is to seperate them from the rest of the tank and make harvesting easier. I think that the ultra fine mesh I've seen would contain them without them getting through :dunno:

I presume that you shouldn't breed these snails with fish that lay eggs, right? Is that so they don't introduce bacteria or more to stop them eating the eggs?

What if I just had some snails in a big jar and changed some of the water every few days?

I would like to hear what others who have intentionally bred snails did.

:wave: thanks

Easiest way to breed ramshorns is to:

1. get a small tank

2. put a small heater at 24-26

3. bare or sand substrate

4. add snails

5. add food(fish food, vegetables or dead plants!)

6. do frequent water change or add a small filter

7. add more food

8. Baby snails

and yes i wouldnt put them in a tank if your trying to breed fish. Ramshorns are excellent puffer fish food and a good clean up crew that adds colour to your tank(if they are red)

Just being nosey but why ramshorn snails?

to feed to my loaches.

1. get a small tank

The reason I asked can I put them in an existing tank is because I can't have another tank, so can I put them in with something else but in a trap?

what is your definition of ordinary snail Jim?

this is what I am meaning because they don't seem to eat the plants if they do escape the jaws of the loach. I have only ever had these and trumpet snails which I don't want back again.

106693536.jpg

I have friends with a tank that has a real snail problem. I can't be sure if they are ramshorns or trumpets (they are red) but if anyone wants some of their snails let me know - they are trying to get rid of them. They have a cull every week of about 50 at a time so if you have something that eats them and are in the Manawatu area let me know.

You do not need a heater with ramshorns, in fact mine grow bigger in a cold tank, as Josh said, any water tight container should be fine - I have kept them in a plastic bag lined container for ages and just throw some fishfood and bits of plants in there, change about 1/3 of the water when I remember. They are also quite partial to lettuce and courgette.

• 1 month later...

My snail colony is off to a fine start after some donations and continual harvesting from my other tanks but I have this question - why do their shells start to turn white? Is it from being in cold water after tropical??

I thought that the little flat round snails were ramshorns, turns out they are pond snails. I got some round ramshorns that really are 'ramshorns' from a cold water tank, put them in with my other snails and they all died mysteriously over a few days, I don't know why. Now that some of the other snails shells are going white I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe they need their vegetables?

It's a plastic 20 ish litre container with a very cut down trickle of air stone bubble, some occasional food, no heater, no specific light apart from what comes in the window and some trimmings of aquarium plants from time to time. They all appear to be alive and possibly even growing otherwise.

Today I tested the water and pH is 7.4-7.6 (ie at the end of the normal pH test kit and the bottom of the high range kit), and kH is 4 drops/ppm. I bought a Turtle Tank Neutraliser block, will that do to give the snails what they need to stop their shells going white? If not, what else is recommended? THere is no filter where to put some bird grit etc, so could I put it in a little bag or such like if the turtle block is no good?

help

and thanks

I've heard of people using holiday feeder blocks or bird cuttlebone? Not sure on the cuttlebone though. Also if you add crushed up sea shells coral etc. It will make the shells turn less white. Sorry for late reply!

Squirt