money making fish

disgustipated

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO fish keeping should be a hobby not a business. I mean my turtle eats about $20 of fish every couple of months but it's not a biggy. If you were going to breed a fish try high grade guppies or something.

IMO fish keeping should be a hobby not a business. I mean my turtle eats about $20 of fish every couple of months but it's not a biggy. If you were going to breed a fish try high grade guppies or something.

thats what im doing, they just pay for them selves because you have to cull out and and you only end up selling a few as you keep the best for your self

i have the same thing with my oscars, they munch through food likes theres no tomorrow!

If you were to make money from selling fish it would be from fancy pleco's, snowballs sell for about $500 each. Cardinal tetra's are harder to breed but would be very easy to sell on because they are one of the most popular freshwater fish world wide. On average you get about 100 fry, sell them at $7 each and get $700

Malawi Cichlids would also be good to breed/sell.

Most other community fish wouldn't make anywhere near as much money as the above

Put your money in the bank and don't buy fish. Invest it in shares if you want to make a return on it. Unless you're willing to invest the money in importing and breeding something rare and expensive (certain plecs would be a good example, as someone already mentioned) then you're not likely to make a real 'profit'.

I think where he's coming from is: He likes fish and wants a good setup but wants to stock it with fish that will breed so he can sell the offspring to cover costs of running the tank (make money if hes lucky) I don't think he's looking for a buisness venture :gigl:

I like the physics law, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another..

Funny thing is, this can also loosely be associated with money.. Money never leaves you ( - keeping it basic here), its just transformed into possesions

Ehum an asset is a resource presently controlled by an entity as a result from past event and from which future economic benefits are expected to flow into the entity(I know this bc I did 2 hours of "study" today). So if you buy something money's going to come out of it :slfg:

Lol my accounting teacher puts so much pressure on us she's like all my past years student have all gotten excellence so you all better get excellence too and it's funny cuz half the people in our class is thinking what is this ****

Lol my accounting teacher puts so much pressure on us she's like all my past years student have all gotten excellence so you all better get excellence too and it's funny cuz half the people in our class is thinking what is this ****

It's probably something to do with her bonus scheme lol... which is an unpredictable income, at best is uncertain,unmeasurable,unlikely and unlucky for her :sml1:

or shes just having you on to try make you get excellence!!

Put your money in the bank and don't buy fish. Invest it in shares if you want to make a return on it. Unless you're willing to invest the money in importing and breeding something rare and expensive (certain plecs would be a good example, as someone already mentioned) then you're not likely to make a real 'profit'.

+1

(off : by the way David, I just saw your tank on Monsterfishkeepers. Wow : it's just awesome !!!)

Rare species of fish are the ones to breed if you want to try to cover your costs and perhaps make a few dollars. However, generally speaking, if you can breed the rare fish so can others. Its a supply and demand thing, the easier they are to breed the less you get. If you breed heaps of the more rare species you will swamp the market and the prices will fall. People you sell them to will breed them to cover their costs.

If you can manage to pretty much cover your own costs of food you are doing well, let alone power and water.

The other thing to note is that if you are making money selling to the public you need to be careful that you are not getting into the IRD tax categories.