Dwarf puffer biotope

axolotl-danio

I picked up a freshwater dwarf puffer from Organism driving through Christchurch the other day and currently it is in a bare cycled 27L aquarium. I would like to turn this tank into a biotope aquarium and am going to be using a JBL plant substrate with burnt Sienna gravel on top to replicate the red, iron rich substrate from their natural environment. I am unsure on what plants to use and still need to purchase a lighthood (anyone got a small one to sell?) so if anyone can give me some ideas on what to do that would be great. I might do something with the excess narrow lead java fern in my community tank and might purchase some Cryptocoryne. Any general tips on dwarf puffers would also be greatly appreciated.

I would like to turn this tank into a biotope aquarium and am going to be using a JBL plant substrate with burnt Sienna gravel on top to replicate the red, iron rich substrate from their natural environment.

JBL Manado is a lot more red than that Burnt Sienna stuff and it is also porous so bacteria can colonise it, plus it absorbs and stores nutrients and releases them when the plants need them, so much better than Burnt Sienna IMO. It is roughly about $30-$35 for a 5L bag, so not too expensive either.