Power bills.

wsun013

Winter is coming and I do wonder what power companies do people use.

I am using Genesis and it roughly cost me $160 in summer and $250 in winter.....it is expensive (kinda) to me.

I have

400L tank: 120W lights + 2 x 200W heater + 2 x 55W filter = 630W

60L tank: 40W light + 1 x 50W heater + 2 x 15W filter = 120W

75L tank: 100W heater + 1 x 30 W filter = 130W

so that is roughly 900W in total.

(900 W / 1000 W) * 24 hours * 0.75 (factor that lights are off half day) * 30 days = 486 units.

I am having 21cent per units so that is $102

Anyone with similar setup, or cheapter elec. rate ?

of which company and which plan ? cheers.

you have assumed with your calculation that your heaters will be on 24/7.

This same question came up last year and people decided that there is not that much difference to tanks from summer to winter. Filter & lights uses the same power. The heater will use a small amount more but would not be overly noticeable if you live in a nice warm home.

If you are wanting to save power you would be best to look at other areas such as making sure you fridge works properly and also you can do the dishes by hand rather than relying on the dish washer.

Have a look at this http://www.consumer.org.nz/powerswitch/step_one

When you are thinking about power companies there is more to think about than price. You need to see what their customer service is like e.g. if you power is cut off are you going to be able to contact them to get the issue fixed or are you going to be listening to hold music for 17 hours till you get to speak with a real person

I have my tanks in the garage. The garage is cool all year, not cold though, but still different from a warmly house, so I assume my heaters are on most of the time.

What could I do to keep the tank warm ? I have putting polys around the tank during the night, not sure if it works.

I have my tanks in the garage. The garage is cool all year, not cold though, but still different from a warmly house, so I assume my heaters are on most of the time.

What could I do to keep the tank warm ? I have putting polys around the tank during the night, not sure if it works.

You can leave poly or other insulation on the back and sides all the time

We've with genesis

I have a

300L - 300W & 150W heater - 10000K lighting

2X30Lish - 25W in each - basic lighting

27L - no heater - 2 10W halogens (soon to be LEDs hopefully)

lights on for 8hrs a day, 300W is on most of the time as I can't physically turn it down lol stays up near 26C

I'm in a flat with 4 other students, all with out lapstops on most of the day, Tv most nights and heaters in winter and i think we only just went over $210 a few months in winter last year. bill is usually $150

That was also with me playing Xbox 360 alot which aparently sucks up power to

Maybe give fishkeeping a break and join a golf club or take up skiing, might not seem so expensive after that! ;)

How big is your house? How many people live there? What other power-sucking appliances do you have? How long do you spend in the shower? It doesn't sound at all bad (mine is considerably more, with two people and ~2600L of tanks), and I think if you work out how many Watts per day its using (with the lights on 10 hours and the heaters working about 14 hours) and multiply that by the "kilowatt hour" rate on your power bill you'll find its not all that much.

I have putting polys around the tank during the night, not sure if it works.

It works! And it works well!

Clad as much as you can (except the sides you want to see through of course) in 25mm polystyrene. Not just during the night but all the time and make sure its stuck on tight and there are no airgaps around the sides. Even though you think you keep spending much on powerbills the poly makes a big difference.

I am going to get some polystyrene to insulate my 2 garage tanks - what is the best way to attach it? There are no walls surrounding them so nothing to support or press the insulation to the tank. I would guess that thick double sided tape would be Ok but wouldn't condensation ruin the stickiness?

I am going to get some polystyrene to insulate my 2 garage tanks - what is the best way to attach it? There are no walls surrounding them so nothing to support or press the insulation to the tank. I would guess that thick double sided tape would be Ok but wouldn't condensation ruin the stickiness?

You don't get condensation between poly and glass.. (it's warm there)

I just have tape going around the corners... a bit rough but it sticks for now...

You don't get condensation between poly and glass.. (it's warm there)

I just have tape going around the corners... a bit rough but it sticks for now...

What tape are you using? i have masking tape and duct tape and they all ways seem to come off

Nah duct tape just makes a huge mess if you ever need to remove it..

I use normal office type tape (the stuff you cant really see if you put it on paper)

The trick is to have a long piece on the poly and to rub it onto the poly really well with the tip of your fingernail

Do you guys use proper insulation polys ? how thick are them ?

Just "normal" polystyrene sheets from a hardware store (bunnings, mitre 10 etc.)

10mm if you wanna do something about your heatloss

25mm if you wanna do it hardcore

50mm is a waste of money and space