big fish that wont eat little fish

Brianemone

hi

im in the proccess of finalizing the stocking of my 4 foot, wait let me pu t that differently i have no idea whats going in yet

so heres the problem, i want schools or tetra or something of a similar size. But i also want one or two big fish. i like the big ugly oscars but they will eat everything in the tank. I like discus but they are so darn expensive (as i would want a rarly cool colour) and everyone keeps telling me that they fight and are hard to breed. sevrum are ok but i think they will eat the neons as well??

any ideas?

In general, any fish will eat any fish that will fit into its mouth. You may get lucky though, but no garauntees. I don't think my Severums would bother larger tetras, but, neons, being pretty tiny...Try cardinals instead, they're generally a bit bigger than neons and are much nicer anyway.

neons look good but dont last very long, i have had full grown 2 golden severums that never bothered my 20 tetras that were in with them,uarus are not a very good idea in a planted tank as they love to eat plants.discus are expensive but are very nice fish, if you find someone that breeds them you might be able to get a better price on them, i have 5 in with about 25 glo light tetras, 10 swift rasboras and they'ed have to be pretty small to fit in there mouths!

Would cardinals get eaten by Angels? I know neons probably would.

Full size cardinals would probably be too big for angels to eat.

However if the angels have eaten neons before, they will probably view any blue and red fish as food, and hound them.

I have heard of cardinals bigger than 3.5 in (actually I heard bigger than four, but I took off .5 for exaggeration)