which way is up?

lynnz

Hi I have 2 female and 1 male guppies. The male and one female fine no problems. The other female not so good tho, she's ok when swimming but when resting it's like she's tail heavy and points upwards.

Both females have always looked big and pregnant but no babies yet.

please help am quite worried about Gloria. :(

• 2 weeks later...

without seeing the fish, it sounds a bit like a swim bladder problem.

the old suggestion was to keep the guppy in a shallow floating tub in the tank. that way it's swim bladder has a chance to stabalise.

not sure if this has been disproved or if it is still sound advice, but it is the only advice I have to give you.

I very much doubt a swim bladder problem, You say she is pregnant and just like woman of our species pregnancy is stressful for them, along with a male who never stops wanting it. This causes problems with females that i have seen heaps, From the condition of the head pointed up and the tail down, also you should notcie her anal fins are clamped, i have had a very low rate of suvival at this point. I would suggest you remove her to a tank on her own or withother females and feed her up as much as possible with live foods.

Shae

This happens a lot with female guppies in my experience. Not sure of the cause but guppies don't usually get swim bladder problems. That is more likely in the weirdly shortened deformed looking fancy goldfish :wink:

Separate the female and if she looks like she is in difficulty, floating her in a breeding net (if she doesn't object to it) or separating her in a tank with a low water level would lessen the stress of trying to keep her upright. I have had them recover from this.

A lot of surface plant like watersprite may give her something to rest in too.