Mixed martial arts

Brewerchch

ah good another fan

I do a mixed martial arts class twice a week based around kickboxing and judo..

and 3 brazilian jiu jitsu classes per week, i prefer jiu jitsu groundfighting over judo anyday.

training with team UMAF (ultimate martial arts fighting) and AXIS gracie jiu jitsu.

security work can be good grappling practice too :lol:

yeah i like cro cop, some disappointing fights lately tho ie gabriel gonzaga, pat barry..

we've got our own kiwi ufc star now James Te Huna :hail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Te-Huna

some kyokushin guys are training at my dojo at the moment, theirs was destroyed in the earthquake.

i started with karate (go kan ryu and seido) when i was a kid then moved on to boxing for a couple of years and trained a bit with the new zealand olympic team coach, gave up on that and trained systema for a couple of months then muay thai for a while. i enjoy grappling alot more now, getting punched in the face constantly gets pretty old after a while :wink:

go kan ryu and judo are a joke. I did it when i was younger 12-16, did not help me once. Muay Thai and JJ, NOT BJJ is were its at. Combine that with some basic boxing techniques like perrying and as long as you've got good ground game and some decent foot work then your gonna stand a chance in most situations. Kung fu and wing chun are incredible, but kung fu like shoa lin is only good if your fighting a person who has trained in a similar martial art. wing chun was designed for woman and is all about using your opponents weight, speed and strikes against them, great stuff, but you'd need to devote your life to it if you really wanted to be great at it. The idea is to be untouchable.

I don't do any martial arts anymore mainly because of responsiblites, but i still spend a lot of time in the bag room at my gym training the same techniques, if nothing else its really healthy and gives you a solid core, very important when a lot of your strength in fighting comes from your legs and core. a Lot of fighters spend to much time on there upper bodies and not enough on there core. big mistake!

Train Train Train and you'll find when you get in trouble or competitions you wont even need to think, your body will just react. Its actually amazing.

One thing i didn't like about some martial arts (karate, judo) that i did love about boxing was they don't do enough conditioning of your body. In boxing you learn how to take a punch, you realize your not made of glass and you figure out what your capable of receiving before you needa get out or end it.

The best moments are when your out on your feet and you find out what your made of. the tough stuff or the soft stuff. Ive found that of the guys i used to train with, it was always the ones who had bad lives or sad backgrounds that could dig down and find something extra to throw before the end.

The most important part of the body to condition is your brain! Use it as a tool to fuel your ambitions when competing or training.

and for those of you who train and smoke your doing yourself's a disservice, your lungs are so important. "breath or you'll die", that's what my old trainer used to say lol morbid huh but very true

Most karate besides kyokushin is a joke for real fighting (ie lyoto machida). I found it to be a good stepping stone to go into other martial arts from though. I have to disagree on judo being a joke though, i prefer greco roman grapping to judo as judo relies so heavily on the gi, but i train with two judo blackbelts regularly and i wouldn't dream of picking a fight with them. once you learn to adapt judo technique to overhooks/underhooks instead of gi it can be very devastating. I dont think japanese jiu jitsu is superior to BJJ at all though, BJJ has been proven time after time for years to be far better adapted to MMA, 10th planet jiu jitsu is specifically built around no-gi grappling for example. I would personally say Wing chun and other kung fu styles are a joke. martial arts like that really are more of an art than an effective fighting style, the only way any of them can work is if you're fighting somebody of the same or similar style, or like as you said, devote your whole like to it which is why nobody ever uses them as a part of mixed martial arts training, it's simply not worth it.(

With regards to strength and conditioning, i think it's important to train smart, everybody has a different style and it's important to train right for your style (eg a striker would train for explosive power as opposed to a grappler training for strength.)

Train Train Train and you'll find when you get in trouble or competitions you wont even need to think, your body will just react. Its actually amazing.

I couldn't have put that better myself :wink:

and for those of you who train and smoke your doing yourself's a disservice, your lungs are so important. "breath or you'll die", that's what my old trainer used to say lol morbid huh but very true

I smoke cigarettes (and always get hell for it) but it doesn't work out too hard for me, I've just got to train harder lol. last doctors visit i had showed my lung capacity is still far above average so when i quit before end of year competition i should be in great shape then. obviously i dont recommend smoking it's just not that easy of a habit to give up, especially with the earth constantly moving beneath me :lol:

Wow, you can't tell me that guy has 15 years experience in kung fu and is undefeated. It was pathetic, poor fellow didn't stand a chance. If he had some real experience in fighting he would have had far better evasive techniques against an aggressive opponent. that was really disappointing. look all over youtube and you'll find all sorts of martial artists in different styles beating others. It really comes down to the fighter and how he applys it in the ring.

Lol i smoke too, its just a gem of information, because i find my stamina lowers a lot if i do not train regularly and smoke a heap.

anybody see john jones vs shogun?

didn't see that coming :o

I didn't see the final KO but damn, Jones had Shogun down the entire fight. Clear winner easily from round one.. Shogun put up a good fight though, just needs to stay off the ground more and use jones height against him more.