Problems Breeding Betta's

NZ_Fishboy

Hi All, i have recently started to breed betta's and despite alot of knowledge and advice from breeders and internet/research, i am still having problems.

At the moment i have 3males and 3 females, at the moment i have had a male and female in the breeding tank 60x30x30 for a month, (released the female over a week ago) and i have not had a decent or otherwise no bubble nest. This has happened with basically all my males. :facepalm:

They are fed on bloodworms, mosquito larvae and occasionaly betta pellets(Spectrum).

Im really confused and any help anyone could give would be much aprieciated Please.

Maybe give them a little longer to mature?

I also find it easier to spawn them in a smaller tank

Im considering swapping out the youngest male (4 months), which is currently in the tank with an older male, and try another female if i can find a mature one in the pet shops tomorrow or trade me.

What tank size do you think is good? 30L tank from HFF?

I spawned mine in a 60x30 without any problems. Keep the males and females separate for a month, feeding them on good live foods such as bloodworms. Then introduce the pair to the spawning tank, the water in the spawning tank should be warmer than usual, around 28-30 is good. Usually the male will make a nest and they will spawn when you let the female out.

HTH.

I spawned mine in a 60x30 without any problems. Keep the males and females separate for a month, feeding them on good live foods such as bloodworms. Then introduce the pair to the spawning tank, the water in the spawning tank should be warmer than usual, around 28-30 is good. Usually the male will make a nest and they will spawn when you let the female out.

HTH.

All my Males and females are kept in the same tank with the males caged in bottles, like addrienne's system, Should i place the females in a seperate tank to the caged males?

Try getting one off a breeder. You don't really want to be breeding a VT female, unless you know for sure the ones you are buying are not VT.

30l is good by like Sam says, it can be done in a 60x30. Personal preference and whatever works for you

I have 2 males from breeders, one from HFF and the females i know that one for sure is a halfmoon, which is the only one that is mature since i lost my last female.

My suggestion would be to move them to a smaller tank at that age, bottle the female so that the male can see her at all times. feed her live and dried foods for at least three to four days, on the fourth day, do a partial water change, slowly drip feeding the fresh water from a bottle back into the tank. Keep the temp at around 26-27 degrees for those first few days and then after the water change increase it to 28 degrees. By this time the male and female should be ready to go even if he has not built a nest, many dont and still have a high success rate. two foot tank are still ok, but smaller tanks work really well for fast breeding. I get all my betta's to breed with in those four days with great survival rates. Hope this helps.

Regards

Dlums

The change of weather atm is helping me - my dragons spawned this morning. I'm really excited about this spawn, it should produce the best quality dragons yet! This pair only sighted each other for the first time yesterday mid day.

dlums I need to try your system out. Not a major difference to mine but just very subtle changes to the way I do things. :D

The change of weather atm is helping me - my dragons spawned this morning. I'm really excited about this spawn, it should produce the best quality dragons yet! This pair only sighted each other for the first time yesterday mid day.

dlums I need to try your system out. Not a major difference to mine but just very subtle changes to the way I do things. :D

Add me to the sellers list :happy1:

• 8 months later...