Your favourite fish hunting gear

Stella

So we were talking on another thread of having a kit thread...

Nets... a quick count up suggests that I have 17 of them.... including my first bright yellow $2 shop jobbie. Useful having many $2 shop nets for when taking groups out. The stand has made my laundry so much less of a death trap.

IMG_2271Small.jpg

These are my current three most useful nets. The one on the right is a $10 Warehouse one, then a sieve-on-a-stick which is invaluable for electrofishing (one end stops me from falling over, other end easily removes fish from the stop net) and a $6 dollar shop net. A square net and a round net work well together for having the right shape net to block an escape route, then use the other net to scare the fish in. (note airline slit and covering the wire frame to protect the net edge from stones)

IMG_2256Small.jpg

Lights.

Energiser LED 3w spotlight (circa $100)

Kathmandu 1w headlight (circa $120 but only buy things from there in the sales! I got it for $35)

Hunting spotlight with battery (borrowed from uni, emits about as much light as the sun, but not so keen on carrying the heavy backpack and the wire lead is a little restrictive.)

IMG_2267Small.jpg

$2 shop 'laundry basket' as a live box. Keeps the fish cool and in fresh water while you go off hunting for more. Folds down to something about the size of a bread plate. Really really handy.

2011_01_2213Medium.jpg

Call me strange, but a good pair of hip waders can look surprisingly sexy! Damned useful things, even if you feel a little like the Michelin man

Spotlighting-08101904.jpg

And of course a bunch of good friends to go hunting with! :)

yes, yet another time when a third arm would be handy! I have become deft at holding and directing a spotlight with my knees. Not super convenient though.

Hmm... contemplating a hip holster for the hunting spotlight, it is light enough that it might just work...

These are my current three most useful nets. The one on the right is a $10 Warehouse one,

Same as my favoured one atm.

...A square net and a round net work well together for having the right shape net to block an escape route, then use the other net to scare the fish in. (note airline slit and covering the wire frame to protect the net edge from stones)
As I was saying in the other thread, I have my airline glued on like this. I also have a square (ish) mouth net or two, one a $2 shop one bent square and a long expendable one.

$2 shop 'laundry basket' as a live box. Keeps the fish cool and in fresh water while you go off hunting for more. Folds down to something about the size of a bread plate. Really really handy.

That is a good idea, I must get one.

here is my main fishing net - it's a nano-net like my 2 nano-tanks :lol:

It has had 2 reincarnations - first one made by me with wire, then remodelled by my husband when my new trough-pond was deeper than the handle was long.

I use this for catching my bugs - it is fine enough for just about all of them except copepods and the smallest pinhead ostracods, which do sometimes get caught anyway.

My version :lol: net1.jpg

Husband's version net002.jpg

Leftover fence post from landlord, part of a shower rail, aquakneadit, half of a tea strainer.

Other half still in use for rinsing frozen fish food.

net001.jpg

LOL cute!

I have an old tea strainer that I took possession of as a nine year old wriggler hunter. I spent HOURS very very still next to a rain water trough at home, swooping in every so often to catch three or four wrigglers to keep in a clear peanut butter jar.

Yeah, I was doomed to be a critter geek from an early age.

Me too, I was catching minnows in the river with my friends, or stick insects, caterpillars on the nasturtiums, and keeping crabs in buckets from rockpools. I had gerbils, rabbits and fish. My dad had a water barrel that had wrigglers but I didn't yet know their potential.

Today my husband made the comment 'you and your worms are taking up the kitchen!'

8)

Here is my kit

P1040218.jpg

When I go fish hunting I take the fish bin to keep all the stuff together. Spotlight, Headlamp, polybox for keeping things cool, Gumboots, nets and buckets.

My portable Sun

P1040220.jpg

My brother made me a bag for the battery so I can carry it easily.Its big enough to fit two batteries end up if I need long lasting sunlight. The cord is coiled to keep it out of the way when using nets.

P1040219.jpg

My photo tank.

DSCF1725-1.jpg

Photo tank in use

P1040221.jpg

Nets

photo tank is a good idea

Yes I find it very handy. I use it more often to just view things rather than photo though.

I managed to drop a stone in it and crack the bottom :oops: it still holds water but slowly it drains through the crack