Sick Discus

Bilbo

I lost a Discus a month ago and thought it was simply bullied and had starved or something. 2 weeks ago I noticed 2 more looking quite sick. They are very dark coloured, wasting away so I can see there bones and have long white stringy poo's. They are still eating at the moment.

My searches say its most likely Hexamita. Does anyone know if this is correct diagnosis and of any cures or what I should try next?

I have tried an number of things from some websites including -

Epsom Salts (To clean em out b4 giving meds)

Raise Temp (Speeds up bugs lifecycle to make eaiser to kill I guess)

Garlic (Supposed to kill parasites but more a preventitive than cure)

Meth Blue (Next to useless against internal bugs)

Salt bath (Not seem to do anything but anoy the fish)

20% water change twice a week.

Temp now 29-30c usually 26-27c

12 x 3-4cm Discus in 150Ltr with 1 pair of Rams, 3 BN and 3 platties

PH 6.0 - 6.5 (mostly rainwater filted through peat)

you can try JBL Aquadur plus , it works well but you will need meds as well.

Adds over 70 different salts to soft or osmosis water. The pH level is stabilised by the hydrocarbonate content

Prevents and heals the â€hole in the head disease“ caused by mineral deficiencies.

Live-bearing fish require higher mineral contents and conductivity, easily attained using AquaDur plus.

JBL Aquadur plus is a mineral mixture containing carbonatehardening as well as total hardening constituents. The composition is based on the ion distribution of most tropical waters. JBL AquaDur plus is ideally suited for increasing the corbonate and total hardness levels in all soft water. The puffer capacity is therefore increased, stabilizing the pH values and preventing a harmful drop in acidity. B-group vitamins and other important active substances, essential above all vor the vital micro-organisms in an aquarium, make soft water which has been treated with JBL AquaDur plus the ideal basic water for keeping and breeding all types of aquarium fish.

Yes I am interested S. Man. I have enough losses this week. As well as ALL my 2mth old Angels and Rainbows I have also had 1 more Discus die. I have phoned my local Vet and he has some stuff I can buy but being unemployed currently I cant afford the $34 per dose for 5 doses. Well not for another week anyway.

all you need is a worming pill that you worm cats and dogs bilbo

it costs $1.25 per dose, one dose lasts a week

will send the details later when i find the name of the drug

u put the infected fish in a 2ft tank with heater and sponge filter

and 1 pill crushed and then disolved then add to 2ft tnk

leave the fish in there for a week

if they are not getting better worm again

i have lost a few b4 finding out why

lots of money

:cry:

:hail: from new zealand discus man..

luke is right on the button..metronizole is also flygal..

vets will supply..400mg to 40 liters..it is unknown the life in water so best is 50% water change 3rd day and retreat..rub pills untill disolved in water..dont just chuck in..

i have seen protozon disapear over night from dropings..

a good microscope is a must..you can see most bugs in dropings and on fins of even live fish..look at tail .usually clear fins and parasites can be seen..

most fish have gut protozon and the most common is heximita..!!!

angels are the carrier.the old school fishie people never kept dicsus and angels together..

dead fish will usually have bloated gut..thats hex...

if dark stain or green stain thats bactrica and the antibotic is needed..

all fish have bugs.

we have been in fish for 30 years and knowning the parasites is the key to breeding..if a fish is acting strange out of batch thens the time to get microscope out and do checks.

cheers phill collis check out my banners..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

I have been unable to find the meds you recommended. Even contacted the supplier in AKL and the local rep but no joy anywhere. None available and no vets here carry it. I have been using Droncit and it looks like they are much better. All there colour is back and they are eating heaps now and putting weight back on. One still has pale stringy poo and also looks like it has a kind of fish diahoria with occasional white cloudy discharges. They look like they are on the mend though so thanks all for the help.

I had 15 and have lost 3.