The EPIC Journey of the 600x300x300mm 54L Rimless Bug Tank!

Joe

I came home with a bottle of Daphnia for $3 from the Tasman Aquarium Club buy/sell/swap meeting on Sunday. I had a 600x300x300mm tank lying around not really being used so I decided to set up a bug tank with my new Daphnia :) I choose a nice sunny sheltered spot outside on an old wooden table.

theamazingbugtank006.jpg

theamazingbugtank012.jpg

theamazingbugtank014v.jpg

theamazingbugtank016.jpg

theamazingbugtank018.jpg

Nice Joe!. A few moons ago I used to work for a goldfish farm and we used to "seed" large fry raising ponds with daphnia. They were great for getting the young fry off to a good start. We used to feed the daphnia with milk powder as i remember. :)

See, you could have another tank after all.... outside there is another 'nother realm of fishy possibilities. One just has to keep them tidy or 'people' can object. My husband now wants to build me an outside bug trough as he is sick of looking at my bucket collection :lol:

Well...

I put some lettuce in the tank yesterday after I took the photos, so I can produce some green water for the daphnia to feed on, and I also added a bit of milk too. When I came home from college today I was delighted to see that they had bred. There are tonnes of little daphnia at the surface all scooting about! It is so cool!

theamazingbugtank034.jpg

theamazingbugtank030.jpg

theamazingbugtank036.jpg

theamazingbugtank037.jpg

theamazingbugtank038.jpg

:happy1:

!drool: i know im weird but this side of the hobby is what really interest's me.

building up a full ecosystem that runs the main display tank whether it be food's or filtration i love over complicating those areas far more fun than just dropping down to the lfs for more fish food when you are getting low.

/sorry for thread hijacking/

!drool: i know im weird but this side of the hobby is what really interest's me.

building up a full ecosystem that runs the main display tank whether it be food's or filtration i love over complicating those areas far more fun than just dropping down to the lfs for more fish food when you are getting low.

/sorry for thread hijacking/

No don't apologise. It would be quite boring if everyone only said 'Oh wow cool' and that was it. I love hearing other stuff that people have to say. It makes threads interesting :P

Hey Joe. You have prompted me to get one of these going. Some good looking green water, great for those little daphnia and great for your Apisto fry when you get those going :)

If I get Apisto fry... The water is too hard in my tank - the pH test kit displays it as green or slightly blue. I don't think I'm going to have much luck unless I have water with no hardness. Then I can soak peat in it and make it really soft :)

I REALLY need some sort of rainwater collecting system :P

BTW I think I lost a female Apisto - when I stripped the tank to catch some fish the other day I could only find the male and two of the females. So that's $45 worth of fish lost :facepalm: But at least I still have the male and two healthy females :)

I Just use good old Hamilton tap water with a handfull of Oak leaves and mine have spawned in that. PH is at 7 which is not ideal but seems ok for now. Sorry to hear about your missing fish. Get them feeding on some of your tasty Daphnia. That should get them in the mood! :wink:

Yeah but none of your spawns have been successful yet :wink:

I fed them microworms yesterday :facepalm: You're all probably thinking I'm pretty stupid since they are fry food and are absoloutely tiny, but they did nibble at them, and my Emperor Tetras really liked them :happy2:

Yesterday I hadn't checked on the bug tank before I posted on this thread. When I inspected the tank after I had been on the computer I noticed that there had been a massive die-off with the daphnia. I honestly don't know why, but it is so infuriating :x I sighted only about two or three daphnia, and the rest were all dead on the bottom of the tank. I did an approx. 30% water change. Today I have seen quite a lot more and there are quite a few little wee ones, but not as much as before. So I'll have to wait for ages before the numbers build up again and then I can hopefully start feeding them to my fish.