Adding silver fern fronds

maoripho3nix

Hey all,

ive done a small revamp on the tank, and am wondering/wanting to add fronds of silver fern. I know people on here have used and added them to their tanks before.

Just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of and what I should do to the frond off cuts before adding them to the tank. Are they ok to just cut off and put straight in there.

More just for cover and hiding spots for the inhabitants, easily replaced as we have 2 or 3 trees out the back.

Thank you :D

Easy: cut and plonk 8)

They brown off over a few weeks but remain structurally sound for many months.

I tend to use them along the back of the tank to fill vertical space and provide texture, in pieces on the gravel (or amongst leaf litter in a peat tank) to indicate what I am imagining is in the canopy over the stream, or in a hospital/quarantine tank to provide easy cover for the fish without taking up space.

I only know about using generic 'ponga'/tree fern (they are a heap of species that I can't tell apart) but I haven't tried other fersn, bracken etc.

Easy: cut and plonk 8)

They brown off over a few weeks but remain structurally sound for many months.

I tend to use them along the back of the tank to fill vertical space and provide texture, in pieces on the gravel (or amongst leaf litter in a peat tank) to indicate what I am imagining is in the canopy over the stream, or in a hospital/quarantine tank to provide easy cover for the fish without taking up space.

I only know about using generic 'ponga'/tree fern (they are a heap of species that I can't tell apart) but I haven't tried other fersn, bracken etc.

Thanks Stella :hail:

I want to use it as cover and give a more NZ feel to the tank :)

Im moving to WA and a neighbor has taken the plants, just wanting something green until the tank goes.

BTW i have PMed you about a copy of your book :)

:bounce: