Faster cure for Fungal Infection on Bettas

Devilfish

Hi everyone,

after losing all 5 of my female fighters due to contamination from pet store fish I am wondering

1) what would be the best way to disinfect the qarantine tank they were in?

2) after trying the white spot cure from pet store this had no effect in my mind and simply made it worse as the cotton like white stuff spread rapidly from fins to gills to eyes over night on day one, and all were dead in the morning &c:ry is there a better faster treatment for this available?

3) after checking online there seems to be some treatments like jungle fungus eliminator and Bettazing has anyone tried these? or is it even available in NZ? since my pet store seems to have nothing but white spot cure and ironically fish in tanks with whitespot.

thanks

Hi

I have used Pimafix successfully with (mild) fungal disease...but there are more potent (and expensive) treatments available.

Otherwise - I usually just disinfect empty tanks with a salt solution and dry them out completely...leaves no nasty chemicals.

Sorry about the fish!

cheers sounds like a good plan with the salt!!

as for diagnosis, well this has baffled me as it looked like white spot to start with, then a cotton like texture emerged and this closed one gill, then covered eyes, then formed around mouth giving them white lips. On a side angel you could see furry bits from the infection site. (sort of like lichen on trees).

Don't have any pics I'm affraid as all fish are dead and gone.

thanks

Well after googling the possible diagnosis, the symptoms do match that and pics for columnaris, also explains the accelerated growth/kill rate and how white spot cure really did nothing for the fish.

Symptoms:

•White spots on mouth, edges of scales, and fins

•Cottony growth that eats away at the mouth

•Fins disintegrate beginning at the edges

•'Saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin

•Fungus often invades the affected skin

•Rapid gilling in cases where gills are infected

So in NZ what would be the best buy for treating this? since it took me ages to get the females to begin with, and so I don't have the same outcome with any of my community tank dwellers.