can you mix mini corydora?

Sophia

These are one cute cory, love the tail spot with the white flashes.

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/coryd ... tatus.html

A lot of disinformation about this and pygmaeus as far as identification goes out there in Google world, unfortunately :-?

In regard to crossbreeding - could not find anything at a cursory glance.

Mine do not have the obvious white at the end of the tail so I'm not convinced they are hastatus, but they were labelled as such and did seem to be slightly different to the pygmy...maybe their colour will develop later, they aren't full size yet.

They are still very cute though. I am debating whether to go back and get a few more. Even in a 22L tank 6 still look small... or maybe I suffering from Cutey Greed :lol:

Hi, according to my book -

"a Complete Introduction to Corydoras" (by Dr Warren E. Burgess)

there have been some attempts to break corydoras into four Species groups: Punctatus, Barbatus, Aeneus, Elegans and Acutus.

They don't readily hybridise between these groups, but do within them.

Habrosus corys are in the Aeneus group. Hastatus and Pygmaeus are both in the Elegans group, so will inter-breed.

I hope that helps.

I have pygmy corys in one tank with panda corys, (diff groups!) and metae ( bandits) in another.

Yes already I can see they are more active swimmers than the peppered cory I had in another tank. I have put small mozzies in there and daphnia, I thought they weren't eating them so I stayed still and waited and found them rootling in the substrate disturbing the daphnia and making very odd jerking motions trying to eat them. Some of the daphnia are quite big but I think they are still managing to chomp them down. I am definitely going to get some more if I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya, I only run two tanks at the moment.

One is a wide three footer (159ltr), which has a real mix of dwarf South American fish - panda and pygmy corys, rocket and golden pencils and possibly only two steel blue cichlids. I did have ember tetras in there, but moved them to the other tank to be dithers.

The second tank is 60 x30 x30 and has 5 bandit corys (Corydorus metae) and the four embers. I will be adding more embers as money allows. I had plans to add another pair of dwarf cichlids too, but may just go with a larger school of embers. Trouble is, they don;t seem to be very hardy. I've bought about 20, but left with four. :(

I think the shy corys really like both plenty of cover, and also some other fish to make them feel safe.

The dwarf corys have bred many times - I started with nine and have counted over twenty at times. :happy2:

They did most breeding in the small two footer, completely filled with Java moss and driftwood, and no other fish in there. I never saw them, but the numbers grew steadily! :love:

Bandit corys do come in from time to time - also there is a local breeder supplying Hutt Pets (oops, now The Pet Centre).

However, they are very shy cats and most people don't ever see them once they go in the tank. If you want corys to watch, go for a less shy one! :oops: I had them once before and couldn't stand the fact they stayed at the back from month to month. I'd never see mine now if I didn't sit very still and further back (and have the dithers). :o

Forgot to say I do have one tail-spot cory (C. Caudimaculatus) that hangs out with the pandas. I got two (all the shop had) and one died. :( I'd love to find more.

At least it won't cross-breed with the pandas, according to my book. :dunno:

• 1 month later...

Hey Foxglove, when my garage tank is empty again, I want to try moving my pygmies in there and seeing if I can get them to breed. In the set up you mention above did you ever see eggs and look after them, or just leave the fish to do their business?