Removing last few stems of hair grass?

Artem

Hi all!

Ive removed the bulk of my hair grass, the water is clear enough that I can see but I have a quick question:

How should I remove the last bits of it?? Im going to take out what I can see but what if there will be roots left under the sand :o

Ill be turning the tank into a heavily planted one so maybe it wont matter?

Hi all!

Ive removed the bulk of my hair grass, the water is clear enough that I can see but I have a quick question:

How should I remove the last bits of it?? Im going to take out what I can see but what if there will be roots left under the sand :o

Ill be turning the tank into a heavily planted one so maybe it wont matter?

pics please! I usually use a set of curved tweezers to hook under the runners, then carefully pull the hairgrass out trying not to disturb the substate too much. Hairgrass is pretty bulletproof. If you want to rescape your tank it's best to use a quantine tank filled with as much water from your exsisting tank and start it from scratch. Not everyone's method, but then at least you can take your time on the hardscape.

Don't forget to trim the hairgrass before replanting, about 2cm sticking out of the substate. That way you get nice new growth coming through. :wink:

I couldn't wait so I just took out as much as possible and dumped some sand on top. Not much to see right now, will post a pic tomorrow when its all finished ;)

The shrimp all went into a corner when I was putting the sand in :lol: ...Anyway I put in some accu clear so should be ready to work on tomorrow morning :happy2: Ill just have to pull out any hairgrass when it comes out :roll:

Thanks for the tip about replanting

Please excuse the reflectiveness of the photos, I think its my tanks rounded front or my awful camera skills :oops:

DSC06687.jpg

I'm going to add some Glosso where the Hydrocotyle is, keeping it in that corner of the tank. Then I feel like there is some emptiness behind the Sword so may add some Val or other tall plant.. I'm also not 100% sold on the Ludwigia behind the Hydrocotyle :-? Any suggestions?

Please excuse the reflectiveness of the photos, I think its my tanks rounded front or my awful camera skills :oops:

DSC06687.jpg

I'm going to add some Glosso where the Hydrocotyle is, keeping it in that corner of the tank. Then I feel like there is some emptiness behind the Sword so may add some Val or other tall plant.. I'm also not 100% sold on the Ludwigia behind the Hydrocotyle :-? Any suggestions?

Could you add the specs of the tank? I see you have Co2... What ferts are you dosing to maximise Co2?

Throw as many plants in there as you can to minimise algae...

Good start! :wink:

Specs:

60*43*43 Tank

DIY Co2

2 x 24W CFL

Daltons aquatic mix

20 JBL balls in the substrate

4 drops of this stuff daily http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Water-treatment/auction-357523449.htm

There are 17 or so Native Shrimp in there along with a single Otocinclus. Going to add 6 more Otocinclus as soon as possible. Ive ordered a small pressurized co2 system on Ebay which should be here in a few weeks.

Glad you like it! :D

• 2 months later...