Help me choose catfish for my 800 litre amazon tank

Kinbote

I'd say a 6 striped mystus and 6 pictus and 3-4 GBA.

Pictus stress me out with their constant frantic swimming. :facepalm:

Seems like it's usually a choice between that or a stationary ornament that occasionally switches location, as far as catfish behaviour goes.

Unsure on cats, but that tank looks awesome :)

Hopefully someone can advise me on something between the frantic pictus temperament and the moveable ornament pleco temperament, catwise.

Thanks. :D I think the tank looks better now that I've replaced the bamboo you can see in this picture with some more driftwood. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

Hopefully someone can advise me on something between the frantic pictus temperament and the moveable ornament pleco temperament, catwise.

It's too bad noone suggested something something like mystus or GBA. Too bad noone will suggest anything like synos or hoplos either.

BTW, first hit on google image search for striped mystus? My pic.:P

It's too bad noone suggested something something like mystus or GBA. Too bad noone will suggest anything like synos or hoplos either.

Those are the magic balance? Too bad mystus are asian and synos are african, though. I thought GBAs were moveable ornaments. Hoplos sound good.

BTW, first hit on google image search for striped mystus? My pic.:P

So it is. :D Especially impressive since I don't even see a catfish in that pic. :roll:

My blue phantoms are fairly active for plecos, not afraid to come out during the day and forrage for food. Good luck finding some though!

I would suggest whiptails, although with the metynnis they're not likely to have any whip.....

If you want activity then why not go for a school of corys, a big group of sterbai schooling around the bottom would look breat!

My blue phantoms are fairly active for plecos, not afraid to come out during the day and forrage for food. Good luck finding some though!

I would suggest whiptails, although with the metynnis they're not likely to have any whip.....

If you want activity then why not go for a school of corys, a big group of sterbai schooling around the bottom would look breat!

I have around 20 sterbai cories tht I just breed they look amazing in a school, if you keen pm

what type of substrate have you used? is that white silica sand? I've got a few bags to put in but unsure about it - how do you vac? (Or do you not ?)

Yeah, it's white silica and then some fine gravel sprinkled on top. I vacuum with something like this http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... 5cm/m/980/ although I actually made it from a non-priming vacuum which I jammed into the end of a manually-priming hand pump that I got from Payless Plastics for $3.50. Never had a problem with sand getting sucked into it; once it's been in the water for a while it packs down pretty tight.

Yeah, it's white silica and then some fine gravel sprinkled on top. I vacuum with something like this http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... 5cm/m/980/ although I actually made it from a non-priming vacuum which I jammed into the end of a manually-priming hand pump that I got from Payless Plastics for $3.50. Never had a problem with sand getting sucked into it; once it's been in the water for a while it packs down pretty tight.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Did you notice anything with the pH? I wastold it's meant to be pH neutral but when I bucket tested and compared to my tank there was about a 0.2pH increase?

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Did you notice anything with the pH? I wastold it's meant to be pH neutral but when I bucket tested and compared to my tank there was about a 0.2pH increase?

Silica sand should be chemically inert. A 0.2pH increase is pretty tiny; if I had to guess I'd say it's more likely caused by gas escaping from the water in the bucket due to handling.