Molly Hunt!

Stephanie

Last night the Taupo Aquarium Society (aka myself, Allister and my little dog Roddy, wishful thinking we actually had a club here huh?) went out to find out more about the infamous molly swap.

As it turns out it took 45 minutes to get there, it doesn’t look far on a map and I’m not terribly good when it comes to planning anything, so we didn’t arrive until close to 8pm.

Allister claimed he couldn’t see anything, but being the master fisherman I am I hunted until I found them. You could see bigger ones near the middle of the pond, but as I had no desire to get my feet wet, and I was wearing white shoes I let them be. I looked under the little bank I was standing on (carefully, the idea of dying in hot mud doesn’t do a lot for me) and there was hundreds if not thousands of fry. All it took was a scoop of the net and I got a bunch. I ended up leaving with 8, because I’ve heard stories about them not living once they’re in a tank and I don’t believe in taking much from the wild, even though they shouldn’t be there they all look so fat and happy, and they’re not doing anyone any harm.

So here’s a couple of pictures, the swap looks pretty yuck. I can see why it could be hard to find, I personally wouldn’t have stopped for a fish if I hadn’t known where it was. The photos of the fry aren’t the best, but they do have that molly shape to them, the biggest is maybe 1cm long including it’s tail and they look to be all female.

Here’s hoping fry are more adaptable and I can have a nice tank of mollies in the future. I’ll add these guys to the masses of fry we’re already growing up and cross my fingers. Would be keen to go back if there is another hunt on in the future.

th_SDC11143.jpg

th_SDC11145.jpg

th_SDC11148.jpg

th_SDC11169.jpg

th_SDC11151.jpg

th_SDC11150.jpg

Guess what? I don't want to curse it but they're all still alive. Have slowly acclimatised them, now i'm going to set up a proper tank for them to grow up in. They're super fast and much healthier than your average fry. I'm really impressed with them. I love mollies and I kept some for a bit when I was like 15 but the ones you see in shops are so sickly looking now I haven't given much thought to keeping them.

Keep your fingers crossed!

These are probably the only good-quality mollies that you can get in NZ (correct me if I'm wrong :) ), that don't carry any genes of mutations or are deformed. Wild-coloured mollies are much more beautiful than all of the mutations :hail:

Good luck with breeding them :)

Last time I got some from Tokaanu they survived without any probs. Just be carefull when you go there as some of the locals are resentfull.

As it turns out my great grandmother is maori. Tuwharetoa actually which of course means Taupo/Turangi. So if we go back i'll claim rights to my fish pond hahaha. I have paperwork. :wink: :roll: :lol:

Still alive and doubled in size already!

• 3 years later...