Where to begin?

Modern Angl

Hi!

I've decided to get myself an aquarium, and to be honest, I haven't got a clue. :) I've been scouring the net for some helpful sites and haven't come across many yet.

Where is a good place in and around Wellington to get the supplies required? What should I be looking at for a medium sized starter tank and what heaters/filters/toys are needed so the fish don't die horribly? Whats the best way to set up a new tank? What sort of fish go together well and don't eat each other?

If there is a concise idiots guide out there, please point me in the right direction before I go and harrass some poor sales assistant with 3000 questions.

Thanks for all the info.

Welcome to the fishroom.

For starters you might find this useful

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/beginnersguide.0.html

Search e.g. goole with 'aquarium beginners guide' and you'll find a few links (including the above one) in the first set of resutls.

Join a club.

Ask questions here

and, get the biggest tank you think you can afford. Large tanks are easier to maintain than small tanks.

Cees

Hi and welcome. There is a BBQ at Jude's (a membr here) next weekend in Wainuiomata. Perhaps you would like to join us? Lots of friendly people with lots of advice. It is a chance for members here to meet each other in person rather than just in the chat room most nights around 9pm :wink:

If you want to know more, send Jude a PM or join us in the chat room.

Hi Modern angel,

Why not post your questions here, and get more than one angle or opinion on the questions rather than just the one of the salesperson.

Echoing jude and caryl, the bbq would also be a good start plenty of people there who will allow you to pick thier brains on a variety of fish related subjects.

B

To start, the bigger the better. Large tanks are easier to maintain than small ones. Trademe is a good place to look for 2nd hand set-ups or Port Nicholson glass (or any other glass merchant) is cheaper than pet shops to buy new.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a hunt round the glass makers and get an idea on tanks, I have space for something around 1-1.2m in length, height and depth something sensible.

I've looked at the beginners guide, very useful :) I'll post some questions tomorrow once I've had some time to figure out exactly what I want to get.

Cheers!

Hi Modern Angl, welcome :D

I got into keeping fish about 10 months ago. I managed to get what turns out to be (i belive ) a very good deal. It was a 250ish litre tank with an eheim External filter. it was stocked with a reasonable amount of fish and was purchased off trademe. Caryls comment about bigger is better is, I belive, good advise.

The only thing you cant buy is patience!!

Hi modern angl

I second (or third or fourth) the opinion that the bigger the better. larger tanks are easier to maintain.

It would be a great idea to go to the BBQ as it will give you a chance to meet alot of people who are in the trade. I wish I could go, but I live in CHCH. Take a pen and paper and try to get a few contacts, especially of people who may be breeding fish.

You will get fish cheaper, and generally healthier from breeders than you ever will at the stores. and you will get great advise from a breeder when you pick up the fish, a breeder will always wan't his or her fish to do well in their new home, wheras some stores don't care, as long as they get paid.

Try to learn as much about any species of fish as you can before you buy it. it is often surprising which fish are incompatable.

The best tip that anyone could ever give regarding tropical fish and fishtanks, is always try to get a 2nd opinion. Anything beyond the very basics of fishkeeping is subject to opinion, and what works for one tank, may not work for another. this especially applies to pet stores or anyone who is trying to sell you something